Muteable doorbell with Shelly one

Hello, everyone,
I want to make my doorbell intelligent and I want a special function to mute it.

The doorbell is triggered by a 12VDC signal and powered by a transformer.
mute_doorbell

I want to use one input of the case to detect if the door button is pressed and integrate the relay into the trigger circuit.

If the mute circuit is disabled, the doorbell should work normally.
If the mute is enabled, the relay should break the circuit, and the detected input signal gives me a push notification.

I integrate my Shelly’s in Home Assistant with mqtt and now my question.

How can I implement the mute option?

The easiest thing would be to create an entity for Mute. Do you have a good solution?

Thanks

1 Like

Why not just define the shelly one as an MQTT switch and then turn in off for mute and on for unmute? you could call it “Doorbell Mute”

Oh, that’s right, that could work, because the input can be switched separately from the relay.

Why didn’t I think of that :wink:
I will try

Input as sensor to detect -> entity: shelly_input
relay as switch -> entity: shelly_doorbell_mute

Can I combine both entities in a template sensor so that I only have one control unit over lovelace?

on first reading i missed the fact that you want a mute switch, I thought you just wanted to mute it with your phone etc. I think you should look at this project:
https://www.savjee.be/2020/06/make-garage-door-opener-smart-shelly-esphome-home-assistant/

it is quite similar (maybe a little more complex) to your doorbell project. it does you espHome, and you didn’t say if that is what you are running on the shelly 1. either way, i think it might be helpful to look at. You also didn’t say how you are powering the shelly 1. Shelly 1 has dry contacts, but you still might be better off power it with the 12vdc of your doorbell. be aware though that many hard wired doorbells are powered by 12-36 vac.

You can have a look at my solution with a Shelly 1 and muting the chime -> Make a dumb doorbell smart with Shelly 1
I use the Shelly API to set the button type to Detached to mute the chime and show that as a switch in HA. Maybe you can use that approach with MQTT as well?