My COMPLETELY Rethought Voice Assistant Plans for the New House

This solves the problem of the potential need to downgrade to a switch but doesn’t give me a local “power kill” option in cases where a bulb breaks and I need to quickly stop the flow of electricity.

Also, I’ve heard THIS is not to code where I live.

We’ll see. The right solution will present itself after talking to the electrician.

I don’t have strong feelings one way or another on this. Yes, this would get me what I need right now without Rhasspy needing to grow to support multi-sat configs, but I’m also 18 months from moving in. I think the multi-sat configuration interests me because I would consolidate the processing in one machine that I can grow as needed.

All things like this are risky. My family has a high risk tolerance for these sorts of things and this is where we landed. I considered taking it further. [maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh]

Joking aside: Good hardware, lots of redundancy, documented processes, an interested teenage son who performs backup duties, regular maintenance, etc. I was a systems engineer for many years and have a good sense for what it takes to keep a complex system up and running 24/7.

Totally agree!

Will do!

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll check this out. The great thing about any of these methods is that I can invest in the hardware and make (and change!) software decisions later, as new projects are developed or improved. Such a stark contrast to closed systems like Google Assistant. As crazy as some of my project sounds, it’s much more flexible and safe IMO vs slapping Google Home Hubs all over the place, which I see more and more people do.

That’s a great price! Yes, I didn’t actually mean a poe hat. This is the same kind of dongle I’m using to power all my Aeotec sensors and planned on doing the same for the the Pi. I haven’t seen this low of a price (without really bad reviews)!

I’m embarrassed I didn’t come to this upgraded solution already. Good call. Yes, for sure, this is the way to go. A little NUC is great for a small/medium setup but something much more higher end is in order for this big one.

The plan right now is all Unifi hardware - APs, switches (PoE and otherwise), and router. I’m using all of that now and have been super impressed.

I’ll see if I can dig up those videos but that sounds exactly like what I was planning: drastically reduce the number of physical switches into a few major locations. No, they’re not conveniently placed in the rooms (the tablets are in those locations), but they do EXIST in case they’re needed.

Totally agree. As I said to @AaronCake, this was an obvious oversight in planning. I’ll be going with rack-mountable server(s) and container/VM configs for maximum hardware and software redundancies.

Addressed this a few times in some replies - I will have manual controls, they’ll just be in out-of-the-way locations in rooms.

Thanks! I’m beyond excited about it all. Been noodling on this for a long, long time. None of this would be possible without HA and all of you. I’m already thinking on ways to, once done, demo all of this in a very professional way and then share that video walkthrough or whatever it turns out to be to help drum up more excitement and development work.

3 Likes

Take a look here…

1 Like

Hi @fishertimj
Why you decided to use hue lamps? And are going to use any wifi/zigbee relays?
I’m thinking about my project (which is much more smaller than yours :nerd_face: ) and I decided to have physical switch and such relay… So I can turn my light manually as usual and remotely from HA at the same time (just as an example https://youtu.be/ssa10rQlMMY?t=409 )
So it will be interesting to hear your thoughts about this

The primary reason to use exclusively Hue bulbs (vs standard LED on a controlled switch) is because I want to change the color temperature all day long to mimic natural sunlight and the way it changes throughout the day. I have a number of bulbs setup like that in my house right now and the family is a big fan of it. Circadian rhythms and all that. I’m using this implementation via configuration.yaml right now but am working on a Node-RED version.

I will also be using more drastic color changes in some more advanced automations. For example, perhaps a security issue (i.e. door opens while locked, window opens between x and y time, etc., etc.) would prompt a number of key lights to turn bright red.

Finally, I’ll also be constantly adjusting brightness based on light sensors all over the house. Yes, this is possible with standard connected switches, but with the color changing needs I also have, there’s just no way to pull it off well IMO with anything other than connected bulbs.

I’m guessing we’re talking about well over a hundred bulbs so I’m certainly going to need multiple Hue bridges. These will all be hardwired back to the mechanical room with all the networking equipment.

I swear I will be documenting all of this along the way, both my configs/automations/etc. as well as video demonstrations, walkthroughs, etc.

3 Likes

Instead of multiple Hue bridges I can recommend a single ConBee II stick, this also allows to add other ZigBee sensors like Xiaomi, Ikea, etc. and HA doesn’t need to poll the Hue bridges, which I imagine to cause problems in a huge setup like this. Also Hue motion sensors and remotes push their events to HA when you integrate it throug the ConBee meaning instant detection of motion/button presses.

1 Like

@fishertimj I’m interested to know how you solved the ceiling mounting of the 36 satellites. Do you mind sharing?

1 Like

I actually didn’t solve it. After many (many) hours online and walking around Home Depot and Lowes, I realized that I was going to have to 3d print something to properly house the Pi + ReSpeaker hat and I simply don’t have the skills/time to do it.

All that said, I still had the need for mics in every room. As I got further into this, I decided that I would build a fully custom front-end on the tablets (fully custom CSS and JS) and as I was starting that, realized that my tablet of choice (https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/student-chromebooks/Lenovo-CT-X636/p/ZZICZCTCT1X) also has two far-field mics and they work REALLY well for Google Assistant. So it got me thinking that I could write some custom code to stream audio from the tablet 24/7 to Rhasspy, essentially turning the tablets into remote mics.

I’m not done yet but will share the code on the Rhasspy forums. I have a recent thread here: https://community.rhasspy.org/t/possible-to-use-tablet-as-mic/1756.

None of that could be helpful to you if your needs require a ceiling mount of the Pi+Mic setup, but for me, this ended up being a smarter use of resources in my setup.