My Configuration and Description - Constantly Changing

I’ve spent a lot of time browsing through these forums and the various components available. Scouring repos, analyzing various configurations, and adding devices over time. I figured I would share my configuration and some information about each device to help others who are just getting started. The main Demo doesn’t really do it justice.

Huge shoutouts to @bruhautomation, @GreenTurtwig and @JesseWebDotCom for inspiration.

We have a room mate living with us at the moment so a large majority of my automation are disabled as they were based on my families presence… though it would be kind of fun to have the house shut down while he is still home.

Nearly everything is run on a Raspberry Pi cluster, as well as a Dell R310 rackmount server. backups are sent to a NAS.

Devices controlled

Voice Control
Amazon Echo
4 Echo Dots and 1 full size Echo in the most used rooms. Still working on full HASS integration.

Device Trackers
Ubiquiti Unifi
I am using the Unifi Security Gateway for DHCP routing, a 24 port Unifi POE switch to power my outdoor cameras and wireless mesh network. The mesh network consists of three wireless AP-AC pros scattered throughout the house.

Owntracks
Owntracks is set up to talk with CloudMQTT and is installed on my wifes phone, and my phone. This allows us to monitor travel time between work and home. CloudMQTT is bridged to my local Mosquitto installation.

Automatic Pro
We have Automatic Pros installed in both of our cars to monitor fuel fuel levels and location.Coupled with Owntracks this provides some neat data. I’ve set automations based on fuel level for travel time.
If fuel level below 10% and travel time above 18 minutes, set alarm off 10 minutes early.

Sensors
SmartThings
I utilize the SmartThings MQTT bridge for most of my sensors. Though I eventually plan on moving to a Z-Wave stick.I have alerts based off of various sensors such as temperature and motion. Other things monitored are moisture (leak sensors) and battery levels. All of these are set to alert me if something is funky, such as a flood, or door left open.

EcoNet
Rheem Econet water heater control and status monitoring. This is running through SmartThings and allows me to set my water heater temp and mode from Home Assistant

Media Control
Logitech Harmony Elite + Hub
This is my favorite of the devices as I use my media devices basically non-stop.

Lighting
Phillips Hue
I’ve replaced nearly every bulb in the house with Hue bulbs, I was an early adopter of the system. I have been planning on switching to smart switches. The issue I’m running into is that nearly every switch in the house is a three way switch with no neutral. I have capped most of the switches and added Hue dimmers for guest control.

NanoLeaf Aurora
This thing is amazing, they are modular panels that have full RGB and are insanely bright. They haven’t publicly opened an API yet, but I was able to sneak into the beta, once it is fully open I am hoping to see it integrated with HASS. Currently it is hooked up to a Z-Wave outlet.

Dumb Lights
I have dumb lights in my office hooked up to a Wink Relay. I picked up the Relay for $50 and got another one as a wedding gift. I have them running a fullscreen browser to control the rest of the house. The top button turns the lights on and off. The bottom button does nothing! Though I plan on setting it to put computers to sleep.

Security
Cameras
Two Amcrest POE bullet cameras running on Zone Minder, these record on motion and store 7 days of recording on my NAS. The wife and I order a lot of items from Amazon, and have had our cars broken into. Can never be too safe.

I have two more indoor PTZ cameras that I will be setting up eventually. Mainly for monitoring the puppy and make sure he isn’t getting into too much trouble.

Schlage Camelot Connect Deadbolts
Front and Backdoor deadbolts, with forced entry alarm, per-user keycodes. These log each lock/unlock and who initiated the unlock. They automatically re-lock after 5 minutes once the door has been closed.

Media Players
Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV sticks and boxes in the main rooms. Mainly used for Plex and Netflix
I am using @JesseWebDotCom s Plex sensor and component.

Onkyo Receiver
Not really used for automation stuff, but I have been playing around with TTS

Thermostat
Nest Thermostat
Pretty self explanatory. Automations are set based on home/away to keep the climate comfortable.

Other
Nest Protect
Nest protect smoke/co detectors installed in common areas of the house.

Plex Server
Because media is my other hobby.

Minecraft Servers
(Newly monitored with HASS) My step-son is addicted to Minecraft… I also play far too much. We are utilizing it as a learning tool. (Seriously, little dude is 7 and we are teaching him Python. I don’t even know Python and I’m a full time software developer.)

Pi-Hole
Network wide DNS based Ad-Blocker.

ZoneMinder
Security camera control.

Mounted Tablets
Fire Tablet 7" installed in home theater with HADashboard and LANNouncer.

Dash Buttons
Only one set up so far, I call it the husband remote. My wife can press it when she needs something and I am downstairs. It announces to the tablet in my home theater “As you wish”. She has yet to use it.

We will be adding another one that is pressed when we clean the litterbox, if it hasn’t been pressed again after 24 hours it will send us reminders.

Dell R310 Rackmount Server
Recently added as a development environment and virtualization box.

I have been working on getting my configuration to a public state and uploading to GitHub.
Recently I updated @GreenTurtwig s MineCraft sensor and have added it. I have also modified the templates to be a bit cleaner.

#Old Screenshots

6 Likes

This made me lol. A great line from a great movie and some commentary on wives and their husbands hobbies. Great write up.

Your images appear to be broken, but it could just be me since I’m at work.

Edit: Guess it’s not just me. Links to images broken in forum posts

I never would have thought of this; what a great idea![quote=“LookItsOps, post:1, topic:12862”]
NanoLeaf AuroraThis think is amazing, they are modular panels that have full RGB and are insanely bright.
[/quote]

I love these too, but waiting on better Android support. Looking forward to seeing your screen shots when Amazon Web Services recovers from their outage.

Yeah the Aurora app in its current state is horrible. Luckily the Alexa app allows me to change scenes so it isn’t too much of an issue.

1 Like

Nice - I may give it a try then. They look so cool!

Great that you found my config helpful! :heart_eyes_cat:
I’m currently in the process of updating it (as you can see, the repository hasn’t been updated for a long time…) from scratch. Although I don’t have nearly as many devices as other people do, I’m glad it’s been useful for so many!
Regarding the Minecraft sensor, it’s great that you’ve updated it! It was only a quick little thing I made then to track my friends on my server. I do remember discussing weather it should be integrated into HA with @balloob, but we ended up deciding it was probably best leaving it as a standalone “custom component”.

Thanks! :cat2:

1 Like

What kind of ups are running?