My Docker Stack

I just happened to be sitting in front of my computer for the first time all week. LOL.

Sounds like I got lucky!

My stack is growing, Iā€™ve gone from having 1 container running with home assistant a couple weeks ago to having 10 containers. Once Iā€™ve got it a bit more settled Iā€™ll share it here.

1 Like

Ok, itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve been in here but Iā€™ve finally got back to it and Iā€™ve had some major success so far.

Iā€™ve got HA, portainer & Nginx all running perfectly.

Iā€™ve got Syncthing running but Iā€™m a little stuck.

I canā€™t seem to figure out how to expose the directory I want to sync to the syncthing web interface and then be able to share it with the other PC where I want to backup to.

my HA config files are at /home/finity/docker/hass-config.

I want to create a sync folder called hass-sync on the syncthing web server to share.

here is my docker command for running syncthing:

sudo docker create --name=syncthing -v /home/finity/docker/syncthing/config:/config -v /home/finity/docker/hass-config:/hass-sync -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro -e PGID=1000 -e PUID=1000 -e UMASK_SET=000 -p 8384:8384 -p 22000:22000 -p 21027:21027/udp linuxserver/syncthing

when i run the docker command everything starts up fine and i can get to the web interface but all i see there is:

ex

Where is the hass-sync folder supposed to show up? Or what am I not understanding?

By default the syncthing docker image is looking for a /sync directory but you mounted a volume at /hass-sync. You have 2 options. One is to mount that directory to /sync instead, or you can create a new sync directory in syncthing web interface and point it to your /hass-sync directory.

Iā€™ve located the directory that syncthing created @ config/hass-config.

I created a new folder in the web interface and itā€™s shared between the machines correctly and it is updating.

ex

The issue now is that the /config/hass-sync directory is empty. I thought that the ā€œ-v /home/finity/docker/hass-config:/hass-syncā€ command essentially made those two directories the same directory - that the syncthing container would look at the /home/finity/docker/hass-config directory for the contents of the /hass-sync directory and send the host directory files over via the syncthing shared directory?

If I add a file to the /config/hass-sync directory it does get synced to the other machine correctly. So I could get it work by manually copying my config files over to the hass-config directory but that defeats the purpose of having syncthing installed. :grinning:

right.

because /config/hass-sync is a completely different directory than /hass-sync

You havenā€™t really accomplished anything here except creating new folders that are not volume bind mounts.

It does.

well, yes you are absolutely correct.

I changed it to /hass-sync and itā€™s all working now.

Thanks again.

@flamingm0e

Is there a way to set up syncthing to sync a directory but exclude a specified file in that directory?

It seems like a waste to back up the log files & .dbā€™s. the home-assistant_v2.db file can get pretty big and it is constantly changing.

https://docs.syncthing.net/users/ignoring.html

You can do it right from the web GUI too.

cool. thanks!

I just found this thread a year and half later. Its relevant to me now, I have been using a HA in some iteration over RPI 3. The latest being hassOS, As my system grew with Zoneminder, Influx, graphana, and a variety of diy devices i donā€™t think my RPI is keeping up. Have been playing with Docker to get the hand of it and searched forums and found this thread its exactly what I was looking for.

1 Like

Hi all. Itā€™s me again with another question. :grinning:

Iā€™ve been using mosquitto installed and running outside of docker ever since I switched to the NUC and itā€™s been running flawlessly.

recently Iā€™ve had the need to get another instance of MQTT running to do some testing and I figured that using docker for it would be a great use of it.

I created all three required directories and placed a default mosquitto.conf in the config directory.

Iā€™ve installed the image using the following run command:

$ sudo docker run -itd --name=eclipse-mosquitto -p 1884:1883 -p 9002:9001 -v /home/finity/docker/mqtt/config/mosquitto.conf:/mosquitto/config/mosquitto.conf -v /home/finity/docker/mqtt/data:/mosquitto/data -v /home/finity/docker/mqtt/log:/mosquitto/log eclipse-mosquitto

When I run the container and use MQTTFx to connect it works perfectly.

Thenā€¦

When I modify the conf file to enable logging I get an error that says ā€œunable to open the for writingā€.

I added the --privileged flag to the run command and I still get the same error. the only way I can get it to go away and the container to run is if I recursively change the permissions on the mqtt directories to 777. After that everything runs fine again and the container writes to the log file and everything is good.

Then I want to add a passwordā€¦

If I go into the container and run the command:

mosquitto_passwd -c /mosquitto/config/pwfile

it asks for the password twice then it exits normally.

I can then navigate to the mosquitto/config folder and do a ls and the pwfile I just created is there along with the mosquitto.conf file that I modified above.

So far so goodā€¦

then I exit out of the shell and navigate to the mqtt/config folder and the pwfile isnā€™t there but the conf file is.

I tested the operation with MQTTFx and it needs a password to access the MQTT broker so I know the pwfile exists some where.

If I delete the container and reload it then the container wonā€™t come up because the pwfile no longer exists to be loaded by the conf file.

And thatā€™s the questionā€¦

Why isnā€™t the pwfile actually writing to a persistent folder on the host?

So dumb question. Iā€™m thinking of getting a Nuc but in the mean time decided to play with docker on a Pi.

Installed Raspbian and Docker and installed Home Assistant. Trying to make sense of docker-composeā€¦

How do I make Home Assistant come up when the Pi boots up? I canā€™t seem to crack it and if I run docker compose up -d it pulls the ā€˜latestā€™ HA again and itā€™s not good!

$ cat home-assistant.yaml
version: '3'

services:

home-assistant:
    container_name: home-assistant
    image: homeassistant/home-assistant:latest
    restart: unless-stopped
    network_mode: host
    devices:
      - /dev/ttyACM0:/dev/zstick
    environment:
      - TZ=Europe/Stockholm
    volumes:
      - /docker/home-assistant:/config

the password needs to be persistent. You need to add a volume to store it. this is my docker compose

mqtt:
    container_name: mqtt
    image: eclipse-mosquitto
    restart: unless-stopped
    volumes:
    - /srv/docker/mosquitto/config/mosquitto.conf:/mosquitto/config/mosquitto.conf
    - /srv/docker/mosquitto/config/passwd:/mosquitto/config/passwd
    - /srv/docker/mosquitto/log:/mosquitto/log
    - /srv/docker/mosquitto/data:/mosquitto/data
    - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
    environment:
    - PGID=1000
    - PUID=1000
    ports:
    - "1883:1883"
    - "9001:9001"

make sure you save your password file to that location and itā€™ll be fine.

Ok, thanks.

I forgot that I changed from the persistent /config as a directory to the persistent /config/mosquitto.conf as a file.

That makes perfect sense when you point it out.

So I would still open a shell session in the container to create the password file and save it to the ā€œpasswdā€ file like this?:

mosquitto_passwd -c /mosquitto/config/passwd

I tried it the way I posted above but I got the error:

ā€œError: Unable to open file /mosquitto/config/passwd for writing. Is a directory.ā€

I googled and found some issues that said if the container canā€™t find the volume file it creates an empty directory instead so I then removed the container and created a blank passwd file (not a directory) in the mqtt/config/ folder and tried it again with the same result.

so once more here is the docker run command iā€™m using after modifying it to try to fix file permission errors:

sudo docker run -itd --name=eclipse-mosquitto -p 1884:1883 -p 9002:9001 -v /home/finity/docker/mqtt/config/mosquitto.conf:/mosquitto/config/mosquitto.conf -v /home/finity/docker/mosquitto/config/passwd:/mosquitto/config/passwd -v /home/finity/docker/mqtt/data:/mosquitto/data -v /home/finity/docker/mqtt/log:/mosquitto/log -e PGID=1000 -e PUID=1000 -e UMASK_SET=000 eclipse-mosquitto

Ok, so here is the next strange thingā€¦

After removing the container using Portainer and selecting to remove non-persistent volumes then recreating it for some reason the pwfile still exists in the container at mosquitto/config/passwd/pwfile. And I can connect to the MQTT broker using MQTTFx with my user name & password I created in the pwfile.

But I canā€™t find that file ANYWHERE on the host. Iā€™m really not sure whatā€™s going on.

As far as I can see, the only place that pwfile file exists is in the container and I deleted the container and rebuilt it. But the pwfile still sticks around somehow.

If for some reason the file is persisting shouldnā€™t I be able to see the file on the host at mqtt/config/passwd? But that folder doesnā€™t exist on the host. I deleted it.

no need, you say you already have a non-docker running instance. copy that same file to the appropriate docker directory.

your mosquito.conf also needs to be like this

pid_file /var/run/mosquitto.pid
persistence true
persistence_location /mosquitto/data/
# Port to use for the default listener.
port 1883
log_dest file /mosquitto/log/mosquitto.log
log_dest stdout
allow_anonymous false
password_file /mosquitto/config/passwd
# user mosquitto
# Place your local configuration in /mqtt/config/conf.d/
# include_dir /mqtt/config/conf.d

note it includes the password file path

Never mindā€¦ I found itā€¦

I missed changing the ā€œā€¦/mosquitto/passwdā€ in your config to ā€œā€¦/mqtt/passwdā€ to match mine.

Itā€™s all fixed now. thanks for the help.