My docker swarm setup

I have it as a hardware solution, it’s not software based.
in swarm I use traefik

Hello masters,

I am new in HA but very interested in all these home automation stuffs.

In short - I managed to run the HA and MQTT in a normal docker containers but I would prefer to use a docker swarm for easier maintaining of the future containers that I plan to deploy. The problem is that the stack is being deployed on the first sight but even that I see that container is not running. When I do “docker service logs xxx” I get nothing and there is no way how to debug it. Another thing that I tried is to mount the log file in the container with a file on the host, thinking that would help me to debug, but for some reason this also didn’t work. My setup is Raspberry pi 3 b+ and this is my very very simple compose.yaml file. Can anyone give me a hint guys, really appreaciate,

P.S. in “configuration.yaml” I have enabled logging with:

logger:
  default: debug

docker-compose.yaml

version: '3.7'

configs:
  config_ha:
    file: ./homeassistant/configuration.yaml

services:
  homeassistant:
    image: homeassistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant:stable
    configs:
      - source: config_ha
        target: /config
    volumes:
      - /docker/homeassistant:/config
    ports:
      - "8123:8123"
    networks:
      hassnet:
    deploy:
      mode: global
      placement:
        constraints: [node.labels.all == true]

networks:
  hassnet:
    driver: overlay

1 Like

I don’t see anything immediately wrong with your setup.
To see what’s wrong with your stack, you can use
docker service ps --no-trunk stackname

Thanks a lot for your reply @Edzilla. I tried this but nothing - the command returns just an empty row. Anyway, I decided to continue running my HA in a plain docker without swarm or docker compose. Thanks again. :slight_smile:

@Edzilla, thanks for posting this as Swarm is on my to-do list, your post will surely come in handy. But I’d like to understand a little more on your original statement that Homeassistant needs to be in host networking mode. I’m currently running mine in a container but I’m using the bridge mode without problems. What components or features don’t work in bridged mode?

Like others THANKS. I’ve been playing with docker for a couple of weeks. Implemented a swarm that does not work well as far as communication. I’ll be giving the macvlan a try this evening. Also going to work with GlusterFS for persistent data accross all nodes. Fingers crossed as it’s all been a learning experience.

You can use bluetooth (at least BLE) in Swarm. I am just starting with HA setup, so I don’t have first hand experience with HA+Bluetooth+Swarm, but I am running a container which is using bluetooth radio from two raspberrypi SBCs in my swarm cluster.

version: "3.8"
services:
  atc_reader:
    image: adystech/mi_atc_reader:latest
    deploy:
      replicas: 2
      placement:
        max_replicas_per_node: 1
        constraints: 
        - node.labels.platform == raspberrypi
        - node.labels.bluetooth_cap == true

logging:
            driver: "json-file"
            options:
              max-file: "3"   # number of files or file count
              max-size: "5m" # file size
    environment:
      - ATC_MQTT__client_id="atc_{{.Node.Hostname}}"
    configs:
      - source: atc_config.yml
        target: /custom.yml
    cap_add:
      - NET_ADMIN
    networks:
      - host_net
networks:
  shared_overlay: # For inter stack communication. created outside.
    driver: overlay
    external: true
  host_net:
    external: true
    name: host

The additional NET_ADMIN cap and indirect reference to host network does the trick.