My first time Home Assistant and OpenZWave experiences

Hi, which Vera controller are you using?

Any of them should do, I went with the verasecure because I wanted to play with the 2gig stuff. But even the Edge should do if all you want is zwave.

I have 2x VeraEdge and 2xVeraPlus, one is currently interfaced by HA, along with a ZStick Gen5.

Have not pushed ZWave via ZStick on HA very hard yet, but the HA/Vera integration is solid; apparently more solid than Vera itself (I would not use Very any more than necessary for anything). In my case, I’ll probably have to keep Vera around (sigh) until HA’s ZWave integration get a serious push. OpenHab does seem to give ZWave more effort than HA.

Kind of similar to Lutron RA2 support.

Have anybody considered organizing a user/donor “fund” to encourage/pay for desirable dev efforts? I think (a lot?) of users would contribute to getting specific things moving as fast as possible. I am most appreciative of the effort put forth by all the volunteers, is that kind of fund compatible with the HA community?

I really like HA, if the current effort is kept up, I think HA will go a very long way.

I put up a pull request to address #6, but I’m convinced it actually stops the double poll after turning off a dimmer. The log message actually comes from OpenZWave: https://github.com/OpenZWave/open-zwave/blob/88a9e07b2fd60dc0a43cd36ac142f7bcf2129813/cpp/src/Manager.cpp#L2933

1 Like

@joost, thanks for sharing this! Although it took me some time to stumble on your post and many hours of frustration with zwave and HA, your solution Ad 1 and Ad 5 have fixed a lot in my setup so far. I’ll definitely be checking the others. Just wanted to say THANKS for sharing!

I am running Hassbian with Aeotec Gen 5 stick and many Fibaro switches, dimmers and sensors. I saw many timeouts and had some really strange behaviour when turning switches on and off. Delays, not reacting… etc. Yesterday I have made some changes and all seems to be pretty snappy… Let’s hope it stays like that!

What changes did you do?

Ive had nothing but trouble, given up for now. I’ll get back to it later I think.

The main change that seems to be working for me is: when I added the devices into zwave, I used the “add node” option and not the “add secure node”. I’m still experimenting with editing the zwave cache file, but so far, seems for my situation to be the secure chatter affecting the response of my system.

This is a really great write up. My experience with zwave is mostly positive. I have one enerwave device that refuses to work correctly anymore, but the rest of my 20 something devices are mostly great and respond instantaneously. I’ll definitely be using the log analyzer to see what improvements I can make! I never knew it existed.

Some less important issues are: I have two aeotec multisensor 6s that don’t update at the same speed even though they are set identically from what I can tell. I have a Fibaro wall plug that didn’t create an entity in HA to monitor total power like the other identical Fibraro wall plug created. Changing parameters for devices is also a hassle, but thankfully I usually don’t need to.

I have a question, how do you run your own instance of OpenZwave with HA? I have it set up with OpenZwave Control Panel (although it’s been a while since I used it), is it a similar set up? Not sure where in HA I point it to own instance.

I’m back on the OpenZwave instance that comes with HA for some time now. But from my earlier notes (not sure how relevant today, but maybe good starting point):

cd /home/joost/homeassistant
source bin/activate
export LOCAL_OPENZWAVE=/home/joost/openzwave/open-zwave
pip uninstall -y python_openzwave
pip install python-openzwave --no-cache-dir --upgrade --force-reinstall --install-option="--flavor=dev" --no-deps

And to check which OpenZwave library is loaded:

lsof -P -T -p <PID> | grep zwave
1 Like