My new android app - bridge between car(obd2) and home assistant

Great app! Exactly what I was looking for.

Would be great if you could add certificate support to connect to the matter broker. The broker I want to connect to requires a broker certificate, device certificate and key.

Best
Nico

Is it possible to push the sensor values through http similarly to GPSLogger?

Is there a requirement to have the obd only connect to this app as mine is also connected to torque app. Doesn’t seem to work atm.

+1 through a webhook would be good - the reason I don’t use torque is it doesn’t support https

That will be great.

Um… Have you used that component?

@MarcioPlaza any plans to make this open source with code on github?

1 Like

sorry for my delay. in last months I’ve changed job, country and I didn’t bring car with me (:

Yep I know, open source would be an alternative

It you are open to putting your code on github, it would help a lot of people here :slight_smile: Maybe the community can also continue the work you started by working on your code.

In case you do, please post the github link here

Hi, I was thinking about doing the same thing and I saw your app here. Installed it, will try it out!

Any news about open-sourcing it?

Thanks!

G.

Is there a way to monitor if the vehicle engine started? If so, is there a delay? Want to track vehicle when parked in my driveway and someone activated engine at night without my consent.

sorry for my delay. I’m still (slowly) trying to get permission from my actual employee, in order to release it as open source.
Due to stuffs in my contract, my employee get automatically intellectual properties on all stuffs that I do, also outside working hours

First of all many thanks for this great app

any news on being able to release it open source? I’ve been unable to successfully connect it thusfar. The app reports both obd and mqtt failing. Both work however, when used seperately using a different mqtt client and torque lite

Would love to try and find out what is going wrong

Also interested in seeing this. Alternatively, does anyone know of any other ELM327 integrations for HA?

It seems combining a few existing projects, along with a Bluetooth ELM327 receiver (and transmitters from cars) might give us a very interesting ODB-II integration into Home Assistant.

Here are some relevant things I found:

This is really interesting as it exposes the ODB-II data as JSON through a small locally web service. I’m not sure how this would work with Bluetooth ELM327 transmitter devices…and certainly would have to be modified to allow polling data from several cars at the same time.

https://python-obd.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

This works with various ODB-II adapters and streams “real time sensor data, perform diagnostics (such as reading check-engine codes)”.

https://www.amazon.com/obdator-Bluetooth-Scanner-Automotive-Diagnostic/dp/B074DWH8JR/?tag=rynoshark-20

This Bluetooth scanner would be perfect for Home Assistant, since you could just leave these plugged into your car’s ODB-II port all the time. When your car was in range of Home Assistant, the Bluetooth values would be interrogated and would update a bunch of sensors in HA.

Would love to see a hass-elm327 custom_component created that could monitor several cars at once that had ODB-II Bluetooth adapters. This could all be natively done, without need for an iOS or Android app to act as a bridge.

I stubbed out my ideas, if I can find some time to work on this I will see if I can make any progress. If anyone has built HA integrations before would like to hlpe build it that would be great.

Hello Marco, this is really great idea. Does the ODB2->MQTT app still work? I would be wondering, how does it behave when I turn the car off? Since adapter stops the bluetooth, does the app go to some kind of sleep mode until ELM327 signs in again? The reason I am asking is that my phone in car is charged only when the car is on, so I would like to estimate how many days it lasts without charging and usin ELM327. Or can your app be started/stopped externally by task manager or macro droid. By the macro droid, I can initiate bluetooth connection upon charging.

For me it is importnat that no network usage should be there if ELM is not sending data. Thank you, Jan

Hello I get some error and mqtt does not connect and mqtt data monitor is not receiving any data. Looks like the app does not accept IP address, only domain name? …nope, tested it with duckdns.org and not working either. The other similar app, AndrODB does work, but have other problem, does not register mqtt device automatically. torque module in HA does not connect.