My steps to success for Hass.io on Intel NUC

You pretty much convinced me to go for Ubuntu.

How is it performance wise? People say that Home Assistant runs on very old computers with very little RAM, does that apply to Ubuntu with HA too or are they referring to HassOS in general?

Looking at a Celeron NUC or maybe an I3 NUC with 4 GB RAM, will Ubuntu run smoothly or does the lightweight HassOS has an advantage here (remember, I won’t use it for anything else than Home Assistant).

Edit:
@ffm777 I don’t have Home Assistant yet but figured getting a NUC will work better, get rid of SD issues and also be future proof. Also, I want everything to run fast and smoothly. A Celeron NUC isn’t that expensive.

Then you really don’t need a NUC. Go for a Pi 4 and run HA on that. Upgrading to a NUC later if you really have the need for it, is really quick and easy.

1 Like

This is very true. @Lunkobelix If you have no want or desire to run anything else, get a Pi. A NUC is complete overkill for just running HA.

If you set your recorder config properly and don’t yank the power cord out of your Pi 100 times a day, you won’t have SD card problems.

USB boot is coming to the Pi4 as well, the way it is implemented is different to previous models, hence the delay. It will be implemented via a firmware update from what I have read.

You can change over the a USB SSD in the future if needed.

@kanga_who, @ffm777 I know that a NUC is a bit overkill but I have never regretted adding some extra power. A Celeron NUC is just €100 more that a Pi and adding some extra I get an I3. Was initially planning for a Homey so the “budget” is already in place :slight_smile:

The only remaining question is if a Ubuntu installation wil run smootly and be super responsive on a 2018 Celeron NUC (NUC7CJYH) or if the I3 is a better option. Is HassOS faster since it is so scaled down?

1 Like

I use that celeron NUC and no complaints and I have other non HA containers. If you use cameras you might want an i3 but the celeron is fine for me.

1 Like

As David has stated, a Celeron will be perfectly fine, overkill for Hass.io.

I have Hass.io on a Virtualbox on an old laptop and am considering a NUC. I use a Husbzb-1 for Z Wave and Zigbee. Once I have NUC setup, if I take a Snapshot of existing and Restore to NUC will I have to re-install all my Z Wave and Zigbee devices. For some reason I had to do this when I moved from pi to Virtualbox and it was a pain.

hello to all i have a nuc with hassio. all running well…but i want to migrate connection from RJ45 to WIFI. what do i have to change to be able to acess via wifi instead? thanks

Hi I did this, but I get

gzip: /home/ubuntu/Downloads … : No space left on device

What are you trying to achieve?

This depends on how you have Hassio installed.
Is it booting it native?
Is it running in Docker on a host OS (like Ubuntu?)

No, they should migrate correctly. They were paired with the stick.

I just migrated from a Pi 3B+ to a NUC. It’s a world of difference.
I have a bunch of integrations and sensors…a HA Config Check took almost 4-5 minutes. A reboot took at least 3.

I can now check the config and reboot in under 2 minutes, the config checks take 33 seconds.

I am well aware of the reboot times being faster - I run a RPi3 at my parents house and my business, and have used a NUC myself at home until recently. My point was, and is, that if you are only planning to run HA, then an RPi3 with a good quality SD card, or USB SSD, is more than enough to handle HA itself.

For the amount of times you need to reboot, saving 1 min isn’t worth spending 3-5 times as much IMO, but if you have the cash to spend, then sure, spend it on a NUC. Set up your recorder and other config well, and reboot are still fast on a RPi3.

Hi All,
Currently running from a virtual python environment on a Pi3, however thinking about adding it to my Ubuntu NUC which is mostly just a Plex server at the moment. (Does a lot of transcoding for Fire Sticks etc so needed more power than the Pi). I see HASSio as recommended but also see issues with it offline.

I want a resilient system, i intend to add ZigBee and Z-Wave Dongles so that if internet goes down then my home still functions. Any recommendations or people doing similar? (Not sure on staying in Python or moving to HASSio or DOCKER etc)

Running in Venv or using Docker (hassio) is no more, or less resilient. Hardware and use case are the important parts.

I use an old Dell pc, and run continuous recording cameras, Plex, HA, OVPN, Transmission, etc etc. No issues with the reliability of Hass.io whatsoever.

I have a guide you might find helpful for setup and installation.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1oKhnQ1rz-Yd5HheA8rNk5YNq8e67-5Kh

1 Like

I had seen that HASSio relied on Webservices like NTP more than the older method and version in python Venv? So i think from previous comments i have seen i should set up Docker HASSio AND Docker Plex Sever is that correct. Docker is new to me but see lots of recommendations for it as a better way forwards

Most definitely, I run Plex in docker along side Hass.io. Works very well.

1 Like

Underway with this and so far migration from a Pi3 has been pretty easy, one thing i cannot seem to sort is on the Pi I used a cURL command to trigger some RF devices, then for on command created a lock file and off command removed that file. (Also meant HA could report if on or off even after HA restart). Now the cURL works on NUC in Docker and devices turns on/off but the lock file is not being created. I have tried short path to homeassistant folder as well as full system path. Still no luck and no information other than Failed in logs. Any ideas?
I will add that permissions on folders match main user and from terminal it executes and creates fine.

I have homeassistant running on docker with portainer.
Now portainer warns to update to the newest version but i cant find how i can do this.
Does anyone know a step by step, or can someone explain it a bit?
Thanks