Myq componenet issues

@MisterWil thank you very much for updating the myq.py! I will say that for whatever reason, I still need to use “VGDO” as my MyQDeviceName, but other than that, it worked like a charm!

Does anyone know how to change the images on this component? I would like to use one image at a time dependent on the state. An image of a closed garage door for when it’s closed, and as crazy as it sounds, an open garage door for when it’s open. Pardon my sarcasm here, but this was so much better before the change to cover.

Thanks for the updated script, @MisterWil! Took a bit of time, but I finally got things working.

I had to change MyQDeviceTypeName to “Garage Door Opener WGDO” in order to get things working. I have a newer Chamberlain garage door opener with WiFi built in.

Hope this helps anyone else that has issues with trying to get the node/component to show up in HA.

for device in devices: if device['MyQDeviceTypeName'] == 'Garage Door Opener WGDO': garage_doors.append(device['DeviceId'])

1 Like

I am messing around with this today to see if I can get the Garage door names to be used insead of a genereic myQ friendly name.

Thanks all for your work on this one - was just able to finally get my myQ Liftmaster up and running thanks to this.

Did you ever figure out how to add friendly names? I’ve not had a chance to sit down and mess with it yet.

Under your Homeassistant: section in your configuration.yaml, add Customize:, and under that you would have something like this.

cover.garage_doors:
  friendly_name: Main Garage Door
cover.garage_doors_2:
  friendly_name: Second Garage Door

We are not just after the friendly name, but the entity name derived from the name in MyQ. It’s not intuitive to have references to cover.garage_door_2 throughout the automation, script, etc. areas of the config but instead have the name we configured, like cover.double_garage, cover.single_garage, cover.gate, etc.

I have not yet. I did do some dirty coding to replace the name with the device ID and then it changes the device ID to a hard coded name. Super dirty but it works for now.

@property
def name(self):
    """Return the name of the garage door if any."""
    if self.device_id == "1700742700":
     return "myq_Third Bay" 
    elif self.device_id == "1700744000":
     return "myq_First Bay"
    elif self.device_id == "1700744000":
     return "myq_Second Bay"
    else:
     return self.device_id

Here is my attempt at getting the garage door names from the api.

I testing it with Chamberlain garage doors only.

http://pastebin.com/BTs1snt2

I gave this a shot at home yesterday but was unable to get my garage door to show up.

I think it may have to do with setting the correct info in the config file.

I followed what MisterWil mentioned in placing the myq.py file in this location

/home/hass/.homeassistant/custom_components/cover/myq.py

and for the configuration.yaml file adding my username/email address and password but could not get it work.

Also, it seemed Hass would also not start with the beginning !env_var in the username and password field?

I think I got this working by having to change back to VGDO. And I see the Garage door now in my UI, but it seems to show 2 devices? I can control the door up and down from the top 1 shown. But do not know what the bottom one may be trying to do?

I would try the original authors code a few posts up from mine. Sorry on mobile. Maybe something I did with the names broke something.

!env_var is a shortcut to replacing an environmental variable named MYQ_USERNAME and MYQ_PASSWORD in the yaml file. This is so I can keep my yaml files on GitHub without having to scrub out personal information.

Hi

Kind of lost now … what exactly are the steps ?

I placed myq.py under components/cover

and then add :

cover:

• platform: myq
    name: Garage Door
    username: “[email protected]
    password: “xxxxxxxx”
    brand: liftmaster

Got no errors in HASS but cover its not showing up in GUI …

Thanks

Did you try putting it under custom_components?

/home/hass/.homeassistant/custom_components/cover/myq.py

And you may also need to change the deviceid in the script back to VGDO as mentioned above by others.

Hi @ptmuldoon

Manage to get it working !!!

Thanks in advance

Excellent - thanks everyone - up and running!

I used MisterWil’s myq.py

I am using docker on a Synology NAS so it goes in “\docker\homeassistant.ssh\custom_components\cover\myq.py”

Also used mdiebold’s tip to rename:

cover.garage_door:
  friendly_name: Main Garage Door
cover.garage_doors_2:
  friendly_name: Second Garage Door

and also hid the wink garage doors:

cover.garage_door_1:
  hidden: true
cover.garage_door_2:
  hidden: true

So I got this to work with my Liftmaster, but when I use HA to open the door it started chirping like an alarm of some sort was going off. Closed the door and it stopped. Never heard that before…anyone else ever run into that?

Yeah mine scream like crazy :confused: they do that for safety(UL) reasons.