Mysensors OTA firmware updates?

Does the mysensors platform support OTA firmware updates?

Thereā€™s support in pymysensors, which is the library home assistant uses to interface with mysensors gateways, for OTA updates. But this is not yet made available in home assistant. I have started on a branch to add a service for this. You can find that in my github fork of home assistant. Anyone is welcome to continue on this or start fresh and make a PR.

What is the status of your ota branch for Home Assistant? I would really like to be able to shoot new firmware to the nodes without restarting Home Assistant all the time :wink:

It should work, but my gateway that Iā€™ve used for testing isnā€™t stable enough to allow testing uploading the whole firmware. It reboots during the process. If someone can test the branch and confirm it works by uploading a complete sketch to a node, I can make a PR and get the branch released.

Edit:
I forgot, I need to release an update to pymysensors with a fix too. After that is done, testing should be ok, as I said above.

1 Like

Good stuff. Please let me know when your fix is available and Iā€™ll pull your changes and try to update a node. Thanks!

1 Like

Ok, Iā€™ve released pymysensors 0.12.0 and rebased and upgraded my home assistant ota branch to use pymysensors 0.12.0. See:

Edit:
Ok, I forgot I need to change the call for registering the service. The signature for that has changed in the core. Iā€™ll push an update later tonight hopefully.

Iā€™ve fixed a bug in pymysensors and released 0.12.1. My ota branch is updated and should be ready for testing now.

Yes! :smile: The OTA service works just as advertised! Thank you!!!
Just a few comments. The service call to mysensors.update_firmware

{
 "entity_id": "sensor.movie_screen_3_2",
 "firmware_type": 1,
 "firmware_version": 1,
 "firmware_path":"/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/mysensors/moviescreen.hex"
}

Would it be feasible to shorten the firmware parameter names by removing ā€œfirmware_ā€. It is little bit too verbose?

The update procedure does not trigger immediately, but waits for a SET request from the node before sending the reboot command. I would really like to have the possibility to force an update by shooting the reboot command when the service is called. Could be added as a ā€œforceā€ parameter to the service call? Like urgently pushing new firmware to nodes.

In non-forced ā€œnormalā€ mode maybe itā€™s good to wait for any life sign from the node, not only SET requests. I have a few battery powered nodes that sometimes only sends heartbeat every now and then. They might have to wait for a very long time before receiving new firmware. Since they maybe only sends SET requests once a day.

Thoughts?

Thanks for testing and for the feedback. Iā€™ll try to make the requested changes.

Might have jumped the gun a little bit. It seems that the call to update_firmware never completes.

all_devices = [
            get_mysensors_devices(hass, domain) for domain in domains]

Never gets populated with any devices.

gateways[gateway_id].update_fw(
                list(set(nodes)), fw_type, fw_version, fw_path)

Variable gateways never gets initialized?

Also there seems to be a problem with setup_mysensors_platform()
Running 0.62 and Python 3.6.3:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 189, in _async_setup_platform
    SLOW_SETUP_MAX_WAIT, loop=self.hass.loop)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/tasks.py", line 358, in wait_for
    return fut.result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/futures.py", line 245, in result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sensor/mysensors.py", line 15, in setup_platform
    hass, DOMAIN, discovery_info, MySensorsSensor, add_devices=add_devices)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/mysensors.py", line 603, in setup_mysensors_platform
    devices[dev_id] = device_class_copy(*args_copy)
TypeError: list indices must be integers or slices, not tuple

Are you using my branch directly? It should be version 0.61.0.dev0.

No. I only pulled the diff.

The stack trace is weird since devices should be a dict. Also the line number doesnā€™t match with my branch. I would try my branch directly.

Nevermind the stacktrace and line numbers, Iā€™ve made other changes. I cherry-picked your OTA commit. But the fact still remains. all_devices never get populated because:

def get_mysensors_devices(hass, domain):
    """Return mysensors devices for a platform."""
    if MYSENSORS_PLATFORM_DEVICES.format(domain) not in hass.data:
        hass.data[MYSENSORS_PLATFORM_DEVICES.format(domain)] = {}
    return hass.data[MYSENSORS_PLATFORM_DEVICES.format(domain)]

hass.data[MYSENSORS_PLATFORM_DEVICES] is never populated.

Iā€™m no Python developer but occasionally get tasked with Python code at work, I usually prefer plain old C :blush:

I canā€™t troubleshoot for you if I donā€™t know what source youā€™re using. Please test my branch directly. Main functionality worked last time I tested.

No need for troubleshooting, couldnā€™t get the OTA branch working, worked around it so Iā€™m good. Since my Python skills are not on par with justifying a PR I humbly asked if there might be an issue with the OTA branch. Just pointed out where in the code it seemed to fail in my setup. Maybe Iā€™m blind but I failed to find out where hass.data[MYSENSORS_PLATFORM_DEVICES] is appended with data.

Hi there

I tested the OTA service (commit 803f965) and found the same problem as @Redferne. I figured out the cause, and with the change in this PR, have been able to upload a firmware successfully. Not 100% sure if this is the most error-proof way of implementing the solution, so if you would check it critically, Iā€™d be grateful.

Thanks for the work, hope this will make it possible to add the OTA functionality to HA!

pragtich

2 Likes

Hi there!
Please anybody can help me to make able OTA on current version of MySensors component?