Nabu Casa at the Matter Member Meeting

Windows or window coverings ?

2 Likes

Any news or updates about Matter support (over WiFi) in ESPHome? Follow-up question is Matter over Thread in ESPHome in firmware?

Please see feature request → https://github.com/esphome/feature-requests/issues/1430

ESPHome could make both Matter end devices over Wi-Fi and Thread as well as Thread Border Routers if ESP32-C6 board have Ethernet.

2 Likes

Where is that info displayed on the thread website?

When I go to their Overview page, I am greeted with

OPEN IPv6 BASED PROTOCOL
Provides device-to-device and device-to-cloud connections

and

SEAMLESS INTEGRATION
Extends the internet into low power end devices

When I go over to the Thread in Homes page that describes how good it is for a smart home, they also just describe how great that Thread devices can connect with the cloud just by getting a border router:

Every Thread network requires a Thread Border Router to connect to the Thread network to other IP-based networks and the Internet, such as Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Once a Thread Border Router is connected to the network, all Thread devices can be securely accessed from applications on a mobile phone or tablet, or from a cloud-based online service.

Yeah, that’s keeping me off of Matter, particularly Matter over Thread.
A WiFi device? I can keep that on a vlan or subnet that blocks internet access.
A Matter over thread device? That’s getting to my LAN via something I want to have internet access, like an AppleTV or HomeAssistant.
My networking equipment all supports ipv6, but ipv6 is a mess for setting up firewall rules, vlans, etc unless I want to create rules for individual addresses, and I’m not inclined to figure out how to reliably segment traffic from a border router that’s doing double duty as a streaming box and an ingress point for devices I have no desire or inclination to trust.

I appreciate the NabuCasa team is working to ensure HA has a seat at the table and a first-class integration with new technology. The (apparent?) security/privacy failure here is baked in to the tech, unless the CSA explains how people can be sure that these devices aren’t exposed to the internet, or getting the same level of network access as the border router device.

1 Like

I agree about the IP6 part - and I thought Matter was supposed to be IP6 (if it is supposed to only be IP6 only, then don’t fix that, it would break my setup below!)?

But the funny thing is, I do not have IP6 even enabled in HA but the Matter integration and the Leviton D26HD dimmer works perfectly with it (I do not use WiFi on my RPI 4 running HA, it just has two ethernet interfaces to connect to two VLANs - one for my regular local network and the other for IOT devices):

Are there plans to add Home Assistant to the Matter DCL? I assume Apple Home shows “4939” instead of “Home Assistant” for device connected services because Home Assistant’s vendor ID isn’t there yet?

I imagine “disabled” just means you’re not setting a static address or using RA to find one. It would still have a link-local IPv6 address which is what it would be using to talk to Matter devices.

I thought ip6 disabled means ip6 disabled! Ip6 is also disabled on my router too! I guess this just means I have a lot to learn!

Yes, once we’re certified we will be added to DCL. Until then you will only see some numbers in those listings (our vendor id)

1 Like

Correct! By default Matter devices use Link local IPv6 so completely independent of your (layer 3) network. Only if you have an actual IPv6 infrastructure set-up, some devices (not all) will also get an IP address from your ISP or router.

3 Likes

Great information, thank you. Is there any information when energy power monitoring will become part of the Matter Standard?

1 Like

I recently migrated from a Apple Home network with ~30 thread devices (mostly Eve and Nanoleaf) to HA. Thread was terribly instable with everything on the Apple thread network until I created a new Thread network using SkyConnect in HA and migrated all devices to it. It is better but still devices go offline from time to time and on each HA reboot the integration fails for a few devices, forcing me to manually relaunch the integration for these devices until they work. With that experience, there are a couple of issues that need to be solved:

• Pairing a matter device to a thread network created by HA currently has no UI in HA, forcing us to use JS code in the browser console to run a WebSocket connection to the thread border router, see this post. This is neither documented nor usable. You cannot expect anyone to go this route when purchasing a e.g. Nanoleaf Thread light bulb.
  • Displaying a thread/matter network with link qualities visually should be possible in HA, similar to the network map in Zigbee2MQTT.
  • HA should have a network analysis as choosing channels is an issue when you also run a Zigbee network, another Thread network,…
  • I wish I could let my existing Apple devices join the thread network that is managed and created by HA/SkyConnect/OTBR as additional border routers. Currently they sit in their otherwise empty network.
  • iOS apps like from Eve and Nanoleaf should be able to access the HA OTBR thread network, currently they only search for their devices in the Apple Thread network, so any matter device that joins a OTBR thread network is invisible to them.
  • I’m hoping for cheap border routers that one can easily add to an existing setup to increase range and stability and the single point of failure.

Thread is a visionary idea but its implementation is still not stable and complete, which is why I decided not to buy any more Matter devices but only Zigbee devices. But as I don’t want to throw out the 30 homekit/threat/matter devices I own, I hope for quick improvements.

PS: Eve recently delayed their Matter firmware for many devices by a month or so, so it’s not just HA but other companies being frustrated/challenged with Matter too.

My Skyconnect stays in it’s box until I can join matter thread networks together. I refuse to have six distinct meshes.

That isn’t HAs fault unfortunately - kind of wish it was at least we could file a bug and get a fix. The HA matter team is remarkably responsive.

I put it at the hands of certain vendors who have thier own ideas about key sharing and Marcel - that’s what I see needs to be fixed. The end user experience on cross fabric sharing and commissioning is completely broken until everyone shares the creds. I can’t even imagine explaining to my mom ok do this unless you use this phone and have that smart speaker then you have to… No. Just no it’s supposed to fix all that. And IMHO it got worse

No matter for me until that happens.

3 Likes

I had remote access fully working without Home Assistant Cloud but decided to subscribe anyway to help fund your great work, keep it up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Windows, for sensors like this one: https://de.elv.com/elv-homematic-ip-arr-bausatz-fenstergriffsensor-hmip-srh-fuer-smart-home-hausautomation-152133

Same here!

1 Like

Is there a plan to implement the matter server into core or will it always run as a container?
Advantages:
a) Easier for beginners
b) Supports all installation methods

I checked out other open source smart home projects, where it seems they go a route without container.

I started with HA around v0.25. While I briefly held of on moving into containers, the move to an environment based on containers with the supervisor module has made my life so much easier and more stable.

When buying a matter device from a company, do they sell a hub as well and if so, do you need that specific hub?

I imagine a world where home Assistent is the hub and you do not need to have others (at least for matter).
Is this achievable?

This would enable true HA - High Availability, when multiple remote border routers are connected to sync’ed Home Assistsnt instances.
Difficult to do now with Zigbee / Zwave.