Name can be missunderstood

Not very important but in Automation is says “Last triggered”. I know have understand that the time for “Last triggered” is only updated if the Automation has been fully run.

for me “Last triggered” means when the chosen triggers has been triggered.

Maybe “Last triggered” should have been changed “Last run”?

“Last triggered” will not be updated if the condition is not meet and “Last triggered” will not be updated.

• Trigger
  • Conditions
  • Execution

I don’t say having a “last_executed” is a bad idea, but “last_triggered” does exactly what it says, and is definitely a valuable information.

Maybe my text can be missunderstood :slight_smile:

I am not talking about inside the automation item, but in the overview for all Automations.

Last triggered for me is when, lets say every minute trigger, is triggered. So then “Last triggered” should be showing " one minute ago" all the time

Yes, exactly. If you don’t see that, you might have an issue :wink:

No it doesn’t. @flopp999 is correct, it’s poorly-named but probably too ingrained to change now.

last_triggered is only updated when the action block is reached. If an automation is triggered, but then blocked by the condition, last_triggered does not change.

Due to timezones, the two highlighted times are only about a minute apart. last_triggered (06:59 BST) is when the light was turned on. The trace shows the motion sensor triggering again at 07:00 BST but blocked by a condition (because the light is already on). So last_triggered is not the same as “last triggered”.

1 Like

Ah, ok, I never noticed that.
Thanks for clarifying, and poorly named indeed, then :wink:

It’s quite useful for things like “don’t run this automation more than once per hour” (example), but as you say, should be via a separate timestamp like last_executed.