Navien Hot Water heater - Navilink

Watching this one closely, as mine is broken also.

Thank you for your time and expertise with this. I am one of many who sincerely and greatly appreciate it. I used the previous version in HA regularly. Consequently, I do miss it. I was running it on a Navien NCB 140/230H combi-boiler and am also willing to test.

Almost there, I have the backend API working. Just need to get the integration finished. Unfortunately, my HA server died, and I’m going to have to get it working before I can finish the integration. It’s going to take me a few more days, but should be soon.

4 Likes

Is it not installable at the moment? I’m getting an error when trying to login to my NaviLink account with it.

No. You can scroll through the recent history, but in a nutshell, Navien changed the whole authentication scheme. nikshriv is updating so should have something to try soon.

I finished the rewrite of this integration. Give it a try and let me know if there is a problem by starting an issue on the github page.

3 Likes

I’m going to add a couple of things that need to be done for people newly implementing recirculation control via the HotButton feature, that I didn’t really see documented elsewhere.

1. By default, HotButton will only trigger the unit to run ~10s or so, a pretty useless amount. You need to go into the installer menu (holding M and back-button for ~5 secs, default pin code 1234) → Application Settings → Hot Button, and configure the furthest fixture setting from the default of 30 ft to something many times what’s realistic. For instance, my furthest fixture is probably 40-50 ft, but I have to use a setting of ~200 ft for it to work long enough for the recirc return temp to rise to an acceptable level.

2. Also by default, regardless of the length of the setting above, the recirc will stop when the return temp reaches 100F. To get around this, turn on dipswitch 2 on the HotButton PCB to disable Energy Savings Mode. On my A2 model, the dipswitches are upside down, so it’s the 2nd switch from the right, and you push it down to turn it on. This then allows the recirc to run until the return reaches the default of 9F from the set temp, just like how the other recirc modes behave.

Edit: For #1, even 200 ft doesn’t allow it to run long enough when warming up for the first time after a cold night. I would recommend a setting of 500+ ft, but I’m on copper piping. CPVC or PEX would probably come up to temp a lot faster.

1 Like

I wish I’d seen this about 72 hours ago. I ended up doing #1, but not until after I got a Navien certified plumber to come in. He charged me $400 to replace a faulty valve, but never solved the problem of it turning off. Your #1 fixed that. I tried to do number #2, but I still can’t figure out how to push/flip or otherwise do anything with dipswitch #2. Mine aren’t switches…the little white square that looks like a dip switch seems to be just painted on.

Thank you @nikshriv! Amazing stuff. I was able to get this going with the update!

Two things I’ve noticed:
-the integration loses connection anytime my router reboots and the only way I’ve been able to get it started again is by manually reloading the integration on HA
-seems like I can’t tie in the gas usage with the HA energy/gas usage functionality (seems related to this: Expected data source not listed - Home Assistant)

Happy to help contribute here if helpful whether it’s on the above or if there’s anything useful I can provide data-wise from my combi setup.

I’ve experienced the same issue with disconnecting when my router reboots. Should be a relatively easy fix. I’ll work on that soon.

Regarding your energy use issue, I have it working in my setup. Home assistant tracks my total gas usage without issue. Can you find me some more detail about what’s going wrong? Do you have an error in the log?

1 Like

That’s interesting. What model do you have? I have the NPE-240A2 and it came with the Hot Button PCB. It looks like this:

You could try soldering a wire across #2?

Excellent!

I’m trying to use the Energy dashboard where you can set up a gas consumption sensor (it can then calculate price, etc). I do see the cumulative usage sensor, but this is more energy consumption built-in functionality in HA as I understand it:

Essentially none of the sensors from the integration show up in the dropdown (and at the bottom of the dropdown it says if you don’t see your sensor here to check the link I shared in my prior post).

I have the earlier 240A so I had to purchase the Hot Button separately, which I only did a couple of weeks ago. My guess is that to stay in compliance with CA laws, they no longer included the dip switches to force users to the energy efficiency mode. I get hot-ish water now pretty quickly, so I may not mess with it. If anyone complains, I will do as you recommend with soldering the two points together on #2.

You’re right about the energy management. I know what happened. I recently revamped the sensor portion of the integration and must have changed the device class of the total gas consumption sensor. I’ll change it back and it should start working for you. You’ll have to delete your current configuration, reinstall and log in again.

I did fix the connection issue if your router or internet goes down in the latest version.

It’s fixed. Download newest version. I think you’ll just have to restart HA, no need to delete your current configuration.

1 Like

I updated to 35cf5fb and restarted HA. Not seeing the cumulative gas sensor in the list.

Hi @nikshriv - I updated yesterday but unfortunately still don’t see the sensor for the Energy management and it also hung again when my router rebooted.

I don’t understand why it wouldn’t be allowed or be discouraged. It’s only doing the same thing as the other recirculation modes.

Yeah, I could have just received a bad one. At this point, though, it’d be easier to solder #2 as you suggested than to go through the process of returning.

Just saw the new update and am seeing the energy management piece and the dropping after a router reboot working now! Huge thank you @nikshriv