Need Help with Automation tried everything it can should be simple what am i missing

What i am looking to do is turn on a device based off an " input_number.box"

Input box is set at 40 if this number is higher then current " sensor.livng_room_humidity " turn on device

I tried Node Red and Hassio Automaton no luck

where is no luck Hassio Automaton? :wink:

trigger:
  platform: template
  value_template: "{{ states('input_number.box')|float > states('sensor.livng_room_humidity')|float }}"
action:
  service: homeassistant.turn_on
  entity_id: your_entity_id_here
1 Like

id: ‘1583180092300’
alias: 'Humidity Sensor ’
description: ‘’
trigger:

• platform: template
    value_template: “\n\n value_template: “{{ states(‘input_number.box’)|float >
    \ states(‘sensor.livng_room_humidity’)|float }}”\n\n\n”
    condition: []
    action:
  • data: {}
    entity_id: switch.garage
    service: homeassistant.turn_on

i just put in a switch for now it will control a humidifier in my heating system…

i will enter code and try it out thanks

well no luck i am sure it something i am doing again

• id: ‘1583180092300’
    alias: 'Humidity Sensor ’
    description: ‘’
    trigger:
    • platform: template
      value_template: “\n\n value_template: “{{ states(‘input_number.box’)|float >
      \ states(‘sensor.livng_room_humidity’)|float }}”\n\n\n”
      action:
    • data: {}
      service: switch.turn_on

Please format your pasted code correctly. We can’t help if we can’t see the important yaml indentation. See point 11 here: How to help us help you - or How to ask a good question

using Virtualbox 6.0
Hassio V 3.11

”\n\n\n”

?

No. Not screenshots. Formatted code. We can’t copy and paste parts of your code to show you what to do if it is a screenshot.

2 Likes

I don’t know why your value_template looks the way it does but it’s FUBAR.

From what I could decipher, I believe this is what you want:

- id: '1583180092300'
    alias: 'Humidity Sensor'
    description: ''
    trigger:
      platform: template
      value_template: "{{ states('input_number.box')|float > states('sensor.livng_room_humidity')|float }}"
    action:
      service: switch.turn_on

This automation will trigger when the state of either input_number.box or sensor.livng_room_humidity changes. If the value of the input_number exceeds the sensor’s value, the automation’s action will be performed (switch.garage is turned on).

NOTE: confirm the spelling of “livng_room_humidity”

works thanks so much :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is exactly what I wrote. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

You’re welcome and glad to hear it works.

Please mark tom_I’s post with the Solution tag. It was the first to provide the correct form of the value_template. Only you, the author of this topic, can choose and mark which post represents the Solution. By doing so, it will will automatically place a check-mark next to the topic’s title thereby indicating to other users that this topic has an accepted solution. It will also place a link beneath your first post that leads to the solution. All of this helps other people, with a similar question, who may be searching for answers.