Need help with automation trigger of a numeric value for a specified period of time

Take note that your sensors show up with ‘True’ and ‘False’ in the UI, but you use ‘true’ and ‘false’ in your automations. I made the same mistake once, it’s case sensitive!

2 Likes

I wish it was that easy. As you can see in the post above, I have the correct lower case. But thanks for thinking of it. I’m taking any help I can get on this one.

My point was: you need to change ‘false’ to ‘False’ and ‘true’ to ‘True’ in your automations.

The alternative would be to leave out the quotes so the values are interpreted as booleans rather than strings, but I haven’t tried/tested that myself.

1 Like

Well I was useless on this one but I learned alot! Seems like @fanaticDavid 's catch will get it running.

1 Like

All the examples of the triggers site it in lower case so I assumed this was the correct syntax! Man, I bet this was it the whole time… And it made sense to me that this was how it was supposed to be so I changed it to all lower case. Ilk check this out and let you know.

You were never useless and I appreciated all of the effort to help from you! Everything you did helped to lead us all here. I thank you very much and hope I can pay you back.

This was it. I tested it with the dryer and it worked immediately and notification fired when I shut it off. I believe this will also fix the Washer as well but I need to see if I have to tweak the timing with a real wash load. I kept looking for everything else because I thought I understood the examples in the documentation but they really aren’t clear. I think later in the week, I am going to do a pull request on the doc page and try to make that bit a little clearer for everyone else as well.

While it was hard to pick the actual solution to this post because both your template example and this were both keys to solving it, I ended up picking the case thing as I completely missed this because of my misunderstanding of the docs. I tried the template sensors before but even if I had gotten them completely right I still wouldn’t have gotten the results until I changed the case on the True/False.

Thanks so much for your help in this @fanaticDavid. I owe you big time.

2 Likes

Happy to help! And glad you finally have it up and running now :smile:

1 Like

Hi @rpitera,

maybe you could post your complete working configuration here or somewhere else? I’m trying to achive the same thing but I’m struggling with the configuration…

Thanks a lot in advance!

Stefan

took me some time but I think I figured it out :slight_smile:

I posted it in another thread but let me know if you still need help. I can’t seem to find the other thread here so once I’m done responding to posts, I’ll come back and update this thread.

I am doing the exactly same thing with my washer, would love for you to post how you made it :slight_smile: