Need help with fan template with the new options

Maybe you will get a response if you ask the dev yourself above.

I seem to be on the naughty list right now so I’m only getting coal in my stocking… :wink:

Okay, I’ll poke around for an open issue first before I make a new one, but wanted to make sure I wasn’t just missing something in my setup. Has anyone happened to debug yet to see if Alexa is sending anything to HA for the “low, medium, and high” commands?

As far as I could glean any info from the threads I think that speeds should all still work as they did before but it will throw an warning in the logs that the set_speed service is being deprecated.

However, eventually, you will be required to only use percentages to control the speeds using voice controls.

I would really like to see us be able to use either going forward tho. I think using “set speed to 33%” instead of “set speed to low” is un-natural and not normal human language.

If you have a fan that supports (requires) percentages that’s fine and I’m glad that those fans are supported but I don’t see why the speeds are being thrown away and we have to completely change to that way when speeds have been supported for years.

So I have found a few post’s regarding this (sorry didn’t realize you already dealt with this so much already)… I’m debating if I should open it as an issue with the Alexa Smart Home Skill as the docs for fans there specifically mentions using low medium high… also all these mentions of using “preset_modes” and ASHS mentions “speed_list” but I cannot figure out if Alexa is supposed to pick up on those automatically or what… this is my first fan in HA so not super familiar with any of it. I guess worse case scenario I’ll make routines for the speeds… but definitely not ideal

That’s kind of what I was thinking of doing too if I couldn’t persuade anyone to have all the options.

It’s sad to think that I’ve spent so much time and effort to get everything in HA to have to go outside of it to get this seemingly basic functionality.

@Bartem

were you able to get your fan working yet?

if not then you might want to look at this thread to see if can help you out.

if not then post back here where you’re stuck and I’ll see if I can help.

1 Like

No haven’t really looked much more into yet… I’ll try to check it out tonight. Thank you.

1 Like

So I just had a chance to try it, I’m not sure if you realized my fan was a Z-wave fan switch (light entity) with a template_fan as my means of creating the fan entity. So when I upgraded yesterday my Inovelli LZW36 no longer had the light.bedroom_fan entity (which that second switch was created as) It actually made it’s own fan entity this time. (Not sure if the previous was standard behavior or something wrong with my setup as it was my first z-wave fan switch)…

So either way, the created fan entity was exposed directly to the Alexa Smart Home Skill and is working with both percentages and off, low, medium, high commands. So I’m not sure if it was template_fan that was breaking it or if something was changed in the backend that makes it operate differently. But thanks for the help.

1 Like

good that it’s working now.

I’m not sure how long the named speeds will continue to work tho.

I believe from reading the release notes those shouldn’t be around much longer.

Unless the wording is just muddled and those will continue to work as they do now. :man_shrugging:

That will be a nice surprise if so. :slightly_smiling_face:

Once I get a bit more time I’ve got a template fan I was playing around with using presets that works fairly well. And I need to work out how to use the preset modes with the template fans too.

Once I get those worked out I’ll probably post another how-to for the template fans like the one for the mqtt fan. Hopefully they will be useful to people and help them from banging their heads against a a wall trying to figure out the new control paradigm.

Also having z-wave fan switch (light entity) that i can dim (brightness). Stil trying to figure out this shit but no luck. All i figured out so far is: speed_count: 3 but no idéa how to make my fan have speeds like 32%, 64% and 84% (its ventilation). Now all i got is 33, 66 and 100 % :confused: hoping that someone will post a good exemple soon :z

What type of switch is it? When I upgraded to 2021.4.0 suddenly the “light.bedroom_fan” became unavailable and there was new fan entity with the default name for the switch (Inovelli LZW36). I don’t know if a change was made in Zwave_JS integration that triggered that change but Zwave_js2mqtt was updated a day or two prior without causing that to happen then on the upgrade there it was. Worth peeking at your Zwave device to see if you maybe got a new entity also?

It is a qubino dimmer. I am still using the old z-wave integration, but I will try to upgrade to z-wave JS and see what happens. I am using alot zigbee2mqtt but now zwave2mqtt, maybe should try that :slight_smile: i wall come back to you with result. thx

What happens if you leave out the “speed_count: 3” from the config?

you should then end up with a step of 1 in stead of a step of 33.3333333. Then you should be able to use the slider to set the desired percentages to whatever you want.

Yes, thats true. But I want to have 3 speeds, but preconfigured with 32, 64 and 84 percent - and name those to “Low, med and high” for exemple

What is the significance of those specific speed percentages? Is the fan actually capable of discerning between 64% & 67% or 84% & 100%?

if all you had before was low, medium, high then 33% 67% and 100% are those functional equivalents in the config.

It did not have low, medium and high by it self. Its a dimmer and probably used for lights, but i use it for my home ventilation. I made a template fan and made 3 speeds in the code, and the speeds where as writen above, and then I named the speeds “low,mid and high”.

then instead of using percentages then look at using preset modes.

As of this moment I am convinced that you can use presets of low, medium and high then in the preset template set the percentages to what the corresponding percentages should be.

I think it might work.

I guess what I’m not understanding in this conversation is if the switch you guys are using is actually designed as a light dimmer or fan speed controller?

And how does it actually control the physical fan connected to it.

Does the fan have certain speeds (discrete low medium high speeds like is controlled by relays) or does it take variable speed outputs (as in a variable speed motor controller)?

here you have it. I am not using the switch, just the light entity to dim my ventilation / fan. Same as a light but its a fan :slight_smile:

I have searched but no luck with finding any exemples to create preset template :confused: