Need help with Light Group

Hello, and happy new year to the community !

I’ve set a light group according to the integration documentation : Light Group

light:
  - platform: group
    name: Kitchen Lights
    entities:
    - light.tradfri_5c8f4fd3_level_light_color_on_off
    - light.tradfri_6db8a149_level_light_color_on_off
    - etc...

Unfortunately, when using this light.kitchen_lights in a card or service call, I’ve some random behaviors :

• when turn_on or turn_off light group, some devices switch on or switch off correctly, but other device does not.
  • when changing the light group color, also some devices follow the instruction, and some other does not.
  • individual light states does not reflect effective state of the device
  • when setting brightness to the light group, all device seems to respond correctly.

I’m running :

• RPI4B / SSD / OS 5.9
  • HA 2020.12.2
  • ZHA
  • RaspbeeII (updated firmware to deCONZ_RaspBeeII_0x26690700.bin)

Do you have any advice on this issue ?

I am using light groups with light.turn_on, light.turn_off and it works perfect (with Hue bulbs). Do your Tradfri lights react as expected when being individually called?

Yes, individual calls for on, off, brightness and colors are working great. There is no latency at all.
Only one thing I’ve noticed since update to 2020.12.2, there are some core log about zha but only at HA startup. Rest of the time is quiet.

2021-01-03 10:52:39 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.entity] Update of sensor.blitzwolf_1a7ae6a9_electrical_measurement is taking over 10 seconds
2021-01-03 10:52:39 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.entity] Update of sensor.blitzwolf_f3994eaa_electrical_measurement is taking over 10 seconds
2021-01-03 10:52:59 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Updating zha sensor took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:30
2021-01-03 10:53:29 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Updating zha sensor took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:30

The naming seems off. I’d expect light.tradfri_5c8f4fd3 rather than light.tradfri_5c8f4fd3_level_light_color_on_off.

Make sure to grab the entity ID from the Devices list (vs Entities), there might be multiple entities for a single light.

I have the same behavior and still not found a reliable solution… my workaround is to apply once again the turn_on or the specific setting (color_temp / rgb_color) against my group… it’s a bit annoying because as you mentioned it’s totally random and not two times the same light or same sequence of lights.

I made more tests, and got the same random issue when I send the command to an entity list (entity_id: light.light1, light.light2, ... light.light16) instead of the group (entity_id: light.all_lights)… Therefore it should not be related to the group entity itself.

My assumption… there is maybe too much devices receiving information (I have 15 bulbs) at the same time on the zigbee network, therefore some devices didn’t successfully received their commands… but I don’t know how/where to troubleshoot that…

I’m waiting a new zigbee USB stcik (zzh! CC2652R Multiprotocol RF Stick) to test if it’s hardware related…

I’m also following this issue that is still open :

but as you are using ZHA and not deCONZ/Phoscon it should not be the issue we are faced to…

I will keep you updated if I got new findings related to this issue.

My configuration is :

• Supervised Install on Proxmox
  • HA 2020.12.2
  • HA OS 5.9
  • deCONZ/Phoscon
  • ConBee II (firmware 26580700)
  • lights : LIDL smart home bulbs E14/E27/GU10 and LED bands (seems to be Tuya hardware based)

Hi @jay_p,
Thanks for the hint, but these are Entities. They are just renamed with the same schema for all of my entities (domain.vendor_id_list_of_functions)

Have you tried groups in ZHA instead of HA light groups ?

I switched to those after the HA light groups switch the lights in sequence, whereas the ZHA seems to send to all members of the group at once.

2 Likes

As suggested by @Holdestmade, I’ve tried with ZHA groups.
After one week testing those group, it really seems to be the best option. All lights in group are very responsive for on_off, brightness and color and they are responding all at same time.
The only remaining problem is individual light entities does not reflect the real state of the light.

2 Likes