Need help with unstable network

Hi everybody,

Previously i used the Conbee II als zigbee coordinator for my zigbee2mqtt setup running in HomeAssistant. Due to some problems with the firmware of de Conbee II some devices became unresponsive from time to time. The most people that were expierencing these issues with the Conbee II swithced over to the Sonoff P dongle and reported the had a stable network since.

This let me to change my coordinator as wel. After migrating my 23 routers and 20 end devices the network was very slow. I gave the network a full weekend to figure itself out, but the network keeps being extremely slow with a lot of time-outs in the logs.

The fysical location of the dongle is not changed in comparison to the Conbee II I used before.

One of the thing I notice is the weird network map. Below I’ve attached a screenshot of the network map with the Conbee II:

You see that all the routers are meshing with eachother. Also note that the “None of the above” checkbox is not marked.

Now a screenshot of the network map with the Sonof dongle:

You see that most routers do not mesh with eachother. Also when i press the None of the above checkbox I see there are links between all the routers, but they are apparently not sibling links.

What i can i do to let the routers mesh like in my previous setup. Or are there any other things I can do to improve my networks stability? Is has worked stable before, the only thing changed is the coordinator.

First note that if you have problems specific to Zigbee2MQTT then it will usually be a much better idea to post to Zigbee2MQTT’s own community → https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt/discussions/

This Zigbee sub-forum in Home Assistant’s community forum is more about the ZHA integration which is built-into Home Assistant core as well as general discussions about various Zigbee hardware devices.

You should just need to wait, Zigbee devices should automatically find the best path, so just give it time.

It will usually take at least 24-hours before the whole network begin to settle down and can take longer.

Each device normally reassesses potential connections and switch to best route once every 24-hours.

General advice is to just add more Zigbee Router devices and do your best to avoid EMF interference.

Suggest that you start by taking active actions to avoid EMF-interference. Zigbee devices are very sensitive EMF interference and have a relatively short range, thus it is highly recommended that everyone using Zigbee devices try to follow all the tips here (especially be sure to connect the Zigbee Coordinator adapter via a long USB extension cable to a USB 2.0 port and not a USB 3.x or USB 4.x port) → Guide for Zigbee interference avoidance and network range/coverage optimization

Also while not a must if you have enough other Zigbee Router devices it might be worth considering adding a few known good dedicated Zigbee Router devices (e.i. dedicated Zigbee signal repeater/extender products) to act as the stable backbone of your Zigbee network mesh. When everything works well then you just need to add more Zigbee Router devices to extend range and coverage.

For example, the “IKEA Tradfri Signal Repeater ” and “Aeotec Range Extender Zi ” are products that work very well out-of-the-box, while a more powerful alternative is to make yourself some semi-DIY variant by flashing the correct Zigbee Router firmware to Zigbee Coordinator USB dongles and then using them as stand-alone Zigbee Signal Repeater devices in USB-chargers for power, like, for example, either the Sonoff ZBDongle-P (CC2652P based) or the Sonoff ZBDongle-E (EFR32MG21 based) work great as dedicated stand-alone Zigbee Signal Repeaters with recommended firmware.

I also suggest that you consider upgrading the Zigbee Coordinator firmware if you have not already (note that there are different variants of Sonoff Zigbee dongle; the “ZBDongle-P” and the “ZBDongle-E”), and also take note that currently only the “ZBDongle-P” variant is recommended by the lead Zigbee2MQTT developer because “ZBDongle-E”) is still missing backup and some other small stuff to have feature-parity.

Thanks for your reply!

As said, the only thing changed is the coordinator. So I dont think the location of the coordinator (usb2.0 extension cord) is the issue, as the Conbee II did not expierence these issues.

Also, I have 23 Phillips Hue router devices, which worked fine with the Conbee. I dont think the routers are the issue here.

The coordinator is running the latest firmware.

Saw your topic in Discussions on Koenkk github. I really don’t know what the extra routes are when you click on ‘none of the above’. I see them appearing on my network map too, but as said, no idea what they are.

1 Like

I dont know what they are either. But it tells me that the current link between the devices is not seen as siblings. I believe they should be siblings if i understand the child/parent/sibling consytruction correctly.

I wonder if the problems with the slow network performance has something to do with the routers not being siblings, and thus not being seen as route that traffic can pass trough.

How did you migrate from the Conbee to the Sonoff ?

I removed the mosquitto and zigbee2mqtt integration form home assistant. Then I removed their directories containing de databses and configuration files. I installed everything from scratch, and paired the devices routers first, from the closed to the coordinator to the most far away

OK, that is not the problem either.