Need recommendation for ceiling lights

I want to get myself a new ceiling light for one of my rooms, and it should be 100% compatible with home assistant. In addition, I dont want to use internet/cloud services for it to work, it must be blockable by firewall or not use TCP/IP.

Currently, I think about getting some lamp which is having either GU10 or E27 sockets, and then get some philips hue or osram bulbs which can be controlled via HA.

The philips hue LED seems to work well and is only 16€ (28€ for 2), which seems like a fair deal. Are those relying on internet/cloud service, or how does it work?

What would you guys recommend?

Z-Wave bulbs:

https://www.amazon.com/GoControl-Z-Wave-Dimmable-Light-LB60Z-1/dp/B00PJH16UC

1 Like

I’m using Hue for all my lighting. Has worked pretty much flawlessly so far, including when my internet was down.

Using only limitlessled with local control. No problem so far either.

One limitation with this setup is that if someone turn off the switch, you’re not able to turn the light on from home-assistant (I’ve used xiaomi wall switch to remedy to this problem).

I also use Zigbee bulbs but they connect via the Wink. Not wanting to invest in Wink/cloud any further I have been converting to Zwave bulbs slowly. Most of my ceiling bulbs are in ceiling fans which limit my options. For rooms that do not have fans, I have installed Zwave light switches. I prefer these as they serve as repeaters for the zwave network and can be turned on/off either physically or via HA.

Personally I went a different way and installed smart switches, this avoid issues as per @touliloup when someone “accidentally” turns the switch off, rendering the smart bulb useless.
I started with LighWaveRF and RFXTrx433, but that was a long time ago and a limitation is that there is no feedback so I don’t know if the switch correctly received the command (other than visually check).
I have a few Sonoff devices that work via WiFi (and thus don’t require a hub) that I’ve fashed with Tasmota so they work with HA (via MQTT) and provided your broker is local (as opposed to online service) it’ll also work when/if internet is down.
If I had to redo my setup I would probably use Sonoff switches everywhere as they’re really cheap. This is what I would go for:

I’m using Ikea Tådfri GU10-bulbs in some rather cheap downlights I also got at Ikea, although I can’t remember what those were called. The bulbs aren’t too expensive, and have adjustable white balance with a good range.

I tried doing a search for the downlights, but couldn’t find them, so they might have gone out of production, but they were rather nice 7W max fully encapsulated IP44 things with a thermistor attached to protect against fire, might be worth a look.

The Trådfri stuff is all LAN-based, so they don’t need communication with the internet for anything past firmware updates, so you should be good to block them in firewall.

The only caveat is that the Trådfri gateway seems a little temperamental, so my updates aren’t always as quick as I’d like, and also sometimes I have to send a command twice when I’m controlling many lights at the same time.

I don’t recommend the Linear LB60Z-1 lights, as there seems to be some compatibility issue between the bulb and Home Assistant.

As for Aeotec, I haven’t tried their bulbs but they generally put out a quality product. They are expensive though.

Personally, I like the Leviton Z-Wave switches. They have a good feel to them. I’ve tried GE Z-Wave switches and Insteon switches and they seem cheap compared to the Leviton switches even though they aren’t that much cheaper.

https://smile.amazon.com/Leviton-DZ15S-1BZ-Decora-Switch-Technology/dp/B01MZ0WVKH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521586048&sr=8-1&keywords=leviton+zwave+switch

I use Singled bulbs. They were 4 for $28 when i bought them several months ago.

I don’t have a link because the amazon site is experiencing issues now.

I agree with @lolouk44. I need to switch them over to using a smart switch controlled standard light instead of using a smart bulb because of the reason he stated above. They are Ok for use in a location that never has a chance that the power switch to the bulb will be turned off or if you have no choice of installing a smart switch. Otherwise they are a kind of an annoyance.

You are supposed to be able to electrically isolate (ie turn off with a manual switch) for many countries’ electrical regs.

But yeah I bought a whole lot of smart bulbs as opposed to smart switches, and I like the colour capabilities (which you don’t get via a smart switch) and the fact that I can (for example) have only one of four lights on. But they have the disadvantages stated above. OTOH you can rewire your regular switch to be smart via a sonoff or similar.

My bulbs are these https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-Standard-Colorful-Smartphone-Remote-Control_60576662953.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.jahydM

I like the sonoff switch approach. I have no experience with installing light switches, but I think I should be able to handle it.
However amazon comments state that it will not work with multiway switching. Also it seems like there is no component for the sonoff switches, how will the setup work?