Need some help with hardware hookup for esphome

Hello and greetings from New Jersey.
I was going to follow the some routes for water meters and got my hand on one that has only two cables to hook up but i went with it since the reviews show esphome code and a route to use it.
But now i am stuck with a phrase in the installation instructions that does stumble me and i hope you guys can help me to decipher.
So i copy the code and instructions down here…but upfront…what does he mean with 10k pullup resistor shorted to ground?
Thx alot for any thoughts and help how to get it hooked up without frying anything

DAE AS200U-75P Water Meter with Pulse Output, 3/4" NPT Couplings, Measuring in Gallons 
For those interested in using ESPhome with this you will need a 10K pull up resistor installed on one leg of the wire lead for things to work properly then you simply short to ground for the count to work. The code I used for the sensor is included below and should work to get you up and running.

- platform: pulse_counter
pin:
number: GPIO14
inverted: true
mode:
input: true
pullup: true
name: "${disp_name} Flow"
unit_of_measurement: "gal/min"
icon: "mdi:water"
update_interval: 15s
accuracy_decimals: 0
internal_filter: 400ms
count_mode:
rising_edge: DISABLE
falling_edge: INCREMENT
filters:
- lambda: return (x);
total:
name: "Total Water Consumption"
unit_of_measurement: "gal"
device_class: water
state_class: total_increasing
icon: "mdi:faucet"

Not quite sure what those instructions are trying to say. Usually a pullUP is connected to Vcc and a pullDOWN connects to ground. Pull-up Resistors - SparkFun Learn and https://eepower.com/resistor-guide/resistor-applications/pull-up-resistor-pull-down-resistor/

What is the device?

Hello…

It is a Wemos Di mini and the water meter is a 2 cable DAE-AS200U-75P
https://www.amazon.com/DAE-AS200U-75P-Couplings-Measuring-Gallons/dp/B01DAZOQO2?pd_rd_w=hEP26&content-id=amzn1.sym.5a5ce87a-6e3e-461e-8699-23c0adbf7599&pf_rd_p=5a5ce87a-6e3e-461e-8699-23c0adbf7599&pf_rd_r=DTA5W1R81NKX4ZGPS92E&pd_rd_wg=9YCLu&pd_rd_r=5271f89b-1508-4d10-9381-50e43b8108d8&pd_rd_i=B01DAZOQO2&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_20_t&th=1

Try looking at this long thread Using ESPhome to build a water flow rate meter - #12 by DeeBeeKay

Hello and good morning.

I got it working.
The trick was one end soldered to ground and one soldered to D5 (gpio14) NO RESISTOR NEEDED AT ALL, and from there just code:

sensor:
  - platform: pulse_counter
    pin:
      number: GPIO14
      inverted: true
      mode:
        input: true
        pullup: true
    name: "${upper_devicename} Flow"
    unit_of_measurement: "gal/min"
    icon: "mdi:water"
    update_interval: 15s
    internal_filter: 400ms
    count_mode:
      rising_edge: DISABLE
      falling_edge: INCREMENT
    filters:
      - lambda: return (x);
    total:
      name: "Total Water Consumption"
      unit_of_measurement: "gal"
      device_class: water
      state_class: total_increasing
      icon: "mdi:faucet"

Yes, you have used a pullup, the one that is built in to the esp. glad it works.

I just meant that i was about to solder a 10k resistor to the circuit, but that wasnt needed, and the original poster stated it in a way that could lead people to solder a 10k in it as well, thats why i did mention it clearly