Nest integration problems

I’m getting the same result as @lorcott “Can’t link to Nest Access”

Got it working, I had to do the ‘Update Device Access Project’ part in this LINK here.

See the troubleshooting section in the integration docs, as it tells you which step to double check to find out what was missing.

Look for “can’t link”

Hi, I am having a different problem. But also related to my redirect link, I think. I get this error after I allow Google Nest permissions in like step 2 of the last chapter.

Screenshot 2022-07-07 222130

When I click than on ok, it redirects me to the next page.

I quite new here, so I don’t real know much about the “my home assistant redirection”.
also, I don’t know if it matters, but I do not have a cloud account from Nabu Casa.

I read the forum and could not find anyone with the same issue

Thanks in advance.

Never have seen this issue before! My Home Assistant is entirely separate from nabu casa. See
My Home Assistant - Home Assistant for more detail

Basically, this service makes it so i can send you a like like my.home-assistant.io/example/feature and it redirects to your local home assistant like 192.168.1.1/some/feature without me having to know your actual home assistant url. It’s stored in your browser only, private to you

On the page Nest - Home Assistant there is a my home assistant button before you begin the setup flow. Does that work?

Thanks for the reply,

OK I Understand. But for my.home-assistatnt.io/redirect/oaut to work, do I need to set up something?

I tried the my button and I got this, then I opened the link than I pressed ok (do you want to set up nest) and then it promoted me this see last picture.

Finally got it working. I mis-read the instructions on the configuration page. I thought this was a choice of only ONE step…turns out you need to do EVERY step. MY BAD!!!

It looks like you need to update to 2022.7? The instructions on the web page are always for the latest version of Home Assistant.

Just upgraded to 2022.7 and was elated to find the system automatically noticed I had Nest devices and it was now a suggested integration! Thank you so much to all of the developers (or is it just you allen?) who put in so much work on that!

I already had a Google Cloud account, so going through the steps didn’t worry me too much … and the documentation was extremely comprehensive on a click-by-click basis to follow through …

Except for the very last bit under Link Google Account. By this point, you have walked someone through multiple different UI interfaces across Google Cloud Projects, the OAuth Consent screen, the Credentials screen, the Nest Device Access Console screen, etc… that I think there is a slight bit missing when this part is discussed:

In this section you will authorize Home Assistant to access your account by generating an Authentication Token.

1. A new tab opens…

What new tab, where? The prior step was #7 at enabling pub/sub - was a tab supposed to open immediately after that? (for me, nothing did) Do I have to go back into one of the several other screens and click on something to get this tab to open?

Just updated Google permissions and HA 2077.7.1 and now Nest Temperature not working thru Alexa. Tells me there are more than one device with that name. Help?

s

I think the idea here is that you start with Adding Nest to your Home Assistant instance can be done via the user interface, by using this My Button – then it’s walking you through the config flow at each step.

So in the home assistant UI you get the device access project id, enter it, then a new tab opens. So perhaps on step #7 we need to reference that you’re back in the home assistant side?

I’m hovering at that point, wondering whether I should still be in some sort of *.google.com UI somewhere … or back in HA.

In HA, after the initial " Nest: Create and configure Cloud Project" six steps you hit proceed. When I hit proceed, I have 4 fields presented in an “Add Application Credential” dialog box (which reads a bit differently than “generating an Authentication Token” as the document states which sounded to me like it’s coming from the Google side). The fields are Integration (pre-filled with “Nest” and doesn’t look like it will let me change), Name (unclear exactly what should go here - the Google Cloud project name?), OAuth Client ID and OAuth Client Secret - which I am assuming are the client ID and client secret I had generated by this point.

I can try loading those in the HA UI and giving it a shot, but there are a whole bunch of screenshots in step #7 that really look as though they are taking place in the Google UI. But maybe the HA dialog needs to be the one to kick off that process?

Yes, makes sense. There is a lot of back and forth, but the idea is that if you follow the config flow it should make sense.

My impression is you are talking about this screen which is the first in the config flow:

Where the links there should be telling you what you need to do which correspond to the OAuth Consent Screen step and Configure OAuth Application Credentials in the nest integration documentation. Name is arbitrary.

Once you complete that screen you get a Nest: Enter Cloud Project ID step that should hopefully be self explanatory.

Then you get a Nest: Create a Device Access Project step that corresponds with the nest integration documentation Create a Device Access Project and associated steps on the google side. Once you enter the device access project id it opens a new tab to link accounts.

So the documentation first starts by saying:

Adding Nest to your Home Assistant instance can be done via the user interface, by using this My Button... which gets you into the config flow then says The integration setup steps will walk you through the process of configuring a Google Cloud Project, Device Access Project, and finally link your account to Home Assistant. Make sure you are running the most recent version of Home Assistant. – which is what i’m talking about here.

Interesting. Your HA dialog at that point looks different than mine:

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 11.20.09 AM

Would you mind filing a bug report here Help - Home Assistant ? I’d love to get more detailed information in the bug template and we can follow up there.

following the guide and can`t figure out this part, when does this open?

@allenporter

when following this guide I get this error

You have to start the configuration flow before following the steps as it says ar the top.

For the can’t link error, read the “can’t link” troubleshooting steps. Likely you need to delete application credentials.

You likely missed this step: