Nest Integration - Some types of Nest Cam do not Trigger Events

I haven’t even asked about how to store state. I guess there’s no point continuing this conversation with a person who isn’t even in a proper state of mind to understand what my query is…

1 Like

I would suggest if you have a problem with an integration then you write your own rather than berating and insulting the author of the integration that doesn’t do what you want.

Back to the original issue I am still not getting any events for cameras. I have 6 cameras that I am assuming are the new internal wired cameras (not IQ cameras) and I have setup triggers for each camera to respond to motion or people and I am not getting any triggers firing.

I say that I assume… The cameras are actually hundreds of miles away in a factory and are mounnted in inaccessible places, I know that this isn’t very helpful.

Has the issue been fixed for wired cameras?

Thanks

actually, ignore that. I am now getting some events (although I am gett person events but not motion… surely all PERSON events are also MOTION).

I am not getting images. But this is documented as an issue… :frowning:

So to confirm on “new” cameras (internal wired non IQ cameras) there is no way to get a screenshot from the camera?

Reviving this continuing thread.
It’s a real surprise that the Google Home App configured events actually controls which events will get into HA as well. Thanks for noting that, was frustrating until I read this.

I’m also only not getting Motion indications but only Person. I believe that it’s not an integration fault but rather Google’s fault.
@allenporter Since you’re in touch with the Nest team in Google, do know why is that?

I don’t have contact with the nest team on this topic specifically.

My assumption (around nearly every decision for the nest API) that it’s considered a privacy control. Users may perceive this as a camera setting and home an app specific setting.

I believe the newer cameras the events are detected on device, so that is actually probably why… It’s changing the device settings on the device to detect events or not, independent of the app.

I have just started using the Nest Integration with my Indoor Wired Nest Cam and found this topic because I cannot seem to get HA to trigger motion or person notifications if the Google Nest Cam Push notifications are turned off. Is this correct?

In my experience, this is correct.
Note that the Google Home App has two notification settings:

1. Types of events that collect notifications
  2. General notification setting for the application.
    You can turn the first ON for the sake of HA, and can turn the second OFF for the sake of reasonable phone experience.

Was there an issue here or is it that newer cameras do not create events?

I have 2 google nest cam with flood lights and no events are generated.

You can see Google Nest - Home Assistant which links to the nest api docs about what events are supported or not for which cameras. (Flood lights support fewer event types)

@allenporter I’ve got 2 Nest Cam with floodlight cameras, the docs state that 3 trigger events should be supported. I’ve also got one Nest Doorbell camera. I can view the live feeds of all cameras without issues in HA.

I’ve pulled messages in pub sub and the only messages received here are from th Doorbell camera, nothing at all from the floodlight cameras.

Are you sure that the documentation is correct here? As I don’t seem to be receiving any events in pub sub for these cameras.

I have some suggestions

1. Check out the official documentation for the API about what is expected to be supported: Supported Devices  |  Device Access  |  Google for Developers.
  2. Check out Google Nest - Home Assistant and scroll to the bottom to see how to look at published messages at a deeper level raw from the API
  3. Check all the various places for permissions that control how events are published. See Google Nest - Home Assistant which also includes various privacy settings in the google home app about when notifications are sent (this may not be what you expect)