Nest thermostat control

Am I missing something here, or do I need to do 25+ steps to configure an external API access into my google account so that I can control and read a simple thermostat?!

I have tried following the steps on https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/nest/ but the steps no longer match what is on the google site. Additionally, things like the “authorized redirect URIs” are not explained and

Tell me its not just me?

Yes it is complex, and not just you. There is another thread I’m this forum with hundreds of entries, as well as feedback that the docs have gaps:

Lots of the instructions and screenshots were contributed by users, and it also takes a lot of effort to document every single detail so there are still gaps.

Thanks, I don’t meant to come across as selfish. I do appreciate the effort put in by contributors. If I had the ability I would do so as well.

OK so I will sit tight and track the issue for changes. Thanks for your help

No, not selfish at all, I was just trying to confirm that you are far from the only one having problems. Adding detail about what isn’t clear was constructive and helpful, thanks.

1 Like

A small update, I did manage to follow the instructions here

and successfully have the Nest thermostat showing. I have not tried to change the set point temperature yet.

Additionally, of the 28 steps I did, I have no idea what 20 of them do, so if it breaks, I will have no idea where to check (as is always the issue with following tutorials without understanding the actual commands)

1 Like