Network Huge ping with Home Assistant connected to network

Since I configured Home Assistant, I notice slowdowns in my network. A constant ping shows som drops to 3 seconds, and then back to normal for some time, and then back to 3 seconds.

I disabled CLoud and Discover already

Any idea?

It’s highly unlikely to be HA. Even with discovery active, and using nmap as a device tracker, mine sits under 0.5 Mb/s most of the time, and even the 0.5 Mb/s is a peak.

You can check by installing Netdata and watching the network graph.

Hmm, I really want to believe what you say but doesn’t this seem a little strange?

Well, that’s pretty abnormal. What components have you enabled? What hardware are you running it on? Is there anything else running on that computer?

This is a Raspberry Pi 1 (B) with Pilight and Home Assistant installed.

I have used these components in my config:

tts media_player pilight some switches on pilight rpi_gpio onewire sensor (DS18B20) Darksky (hmmmmmmmm, maybe this is the one) device tracker

I will try to see what happens when I disable DarkSky

What device tracker?

device_tracker:

• platform: nmap_tracker
    hosts: 192.168.1.1/24
    interval_seconds: 15

That would match up perfectly. The graph shows a spike of up to 600 Kb/s total every 15 seconds, and you’re doing a scan of your entire network every 15 seconds.

Still though, 600 Kb/s per second peak on a network capable of 1 Gb/s (about 2000 times that), there should be no impact. You’re seeing similar traffic volumes to me, and there’s no impact on my network.

No 600 Kb would not be a big deal, but why is the ping on 3 seconds then ?

Since to me it’s not clear: which host are you referring to when talking about those response times? Pinging the machine HASS is running on, or any other device on the network as well? If the latter is the case, are hosts outside your network (8.8.8.8 for testing) also affected?

I notice that any of the computers in my network experience long response times while accessing the Internet (when my sons play a game they come to me with complaints about their ping-time)

I started a ping -t to www.nu.nl on another computer in my network which I’m referring to now.

Ping statistics for www.nu.nl
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 50, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
Approximate round trip times in milliseconds:
Minimum = 54, Maximum = 7864, Average = 659

For future references: i noticed now that after rmoving the nmap device_tracker the problem has gone. I will start using ping for device trackers now.

1 Like