Network UPS Tools (NUT) Help

Hello,

I am running apcupsd on a different machine from my Home Assistant OS. What I am trying to do is just monitor when apcupsd is on batter power and am havving some problems with the configuration. I set up the NUT add-on with the following;

mode: netclient
shutdown_host: ‘false’
remote_ups_name: ServerName
remote_ups_host: ServerIP:3551
remote_ups_user: theusername
remote_ups_password: thepassword

The actual apcupsd doesn’t have a username or password but the add-on yells at me if I don’t enter anything.

Anyway, I restart the add-on and go to do the integration. When I do that and try to connect to localhost or even 127.0.0.1 it gives the error: Failure getting NUT ups alias, Socket error.

I’m really not sure what to do at this point? Can anyone help? Thank you

Apcupsd is not the same as the NUT daemon. You should install NUT server on the machine which is connected to the UPS.

Not sure I’m following what you mean. I have the UPS connected to my server that is running apcupsd and it’s monitored through the tray icon (Windows Server). I also have other windows machines monitoring that instance to see if it’s running on AC or battery (reason I did that is to have them shutdown in the event that AC Power is lost).

I also did some more reading and using this forum response: NUT Network UPS Tools Integration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

So I updated my NUT Addon config;

devices:

• name: ServerName
    driver: apcupsd-ups
    port: ServerIP:3551
    config: []
    mode: netserver

The add-on starts fine but I still can’t get the integration to connect to the add-on.

Is there still some else I need to install on my server connected to the UPS? I don’t know what you mean by ‘NUT Server’. Thanks and sorry if this is something simple I’m just not comprehending.

Why don’t you turn it around? Connect UPS USB to HASS and configure nut to use local USB. Then install client on windows machine?

Can you explain how to install nut-server locally?

The APC UPS connected via local USB is seen under Settings>System>Hardware and also under lsusb.

I have HASS OS standalone installed on a NUC/Dell Wyse thin client.

I have SSH access with the CONFIG labelled USB and authorized keys, but I dont know how to install nut, nut-client and nut-server because apt(-get) does not work.

Thanks in advance!

I believe this is how I did it. (VM)

1. Installed and configured the NUT Add-on (Confirm it can see you UPS in the logs).
  2. Installed and configured the NUT integration.

I could never actually get the integration to connect to the Add-on, so if you figure it out let me know

1 Like

Although I got the NUT server and integration to work on my HassIO/Rasp Pi setup, it dragged my Z-wave mesh to a crawl. Never did figure out why. I ended up running apcupsd server on a separate PI and using the addon to monitor it with Home Assistant. Has been working really well with my TrippLite UPS.