New August Gen 3 How Should I Integrate?

The BLE integration has been working well for me although a bit slow to lock / unlock but I run HA in Supervised mode so I don’t have all the latest Bluetooth enhancements in HA OS, I’ll be switching to it once I get the new Yellow…

Anyway, I had a similar issue when I started using BLE with my Gen 3 lock.

The Yale integration gets the offline key from the August integration who gets it from the cloud api when it loads. But seems like the cloud does not assign an offline key to a lock until really needed… I fixed it by enabling and configuring Auto-Unlock for my lock using the August App, then reloading the August integration and then reloading the Yale integration…

After I got it wirking, I disabled the Auto-Unlock feature and everything continues to work fine.

The Yale Bluetooth Integration is reliabel, but it is slow. It will work every time, but can take sometimes 10 seconds or more to respond.
I was hoping the BLE Active Proxy would help as I know my HA instance is at the edge of BT range for the lock, but I have found the Active BLE Proxy fails with the Yale Access integration and August lock.

1 Like

Know this thread is a bit old, but posting my experience with the Gen 3 Pro in a hybrid setup.

I had a connect and it crapped out on me. I can see it connect to WiFi, but it assigns itself an APIPA address despite everything else having no issues with DHCP. Hard resetting the connect made no difference.

HA and the lock communicate exclusively via ZWaveJS (no other service/integration), but myself and my partner both have the August app on our phones. HA is able to lock/unlock and reports the state (both of the lock and door open/closed). HA passes the entity to HomeKit so we can remotely lock/unlock when we’re away, but this is seldom used since we have auto-lock enabled. The only time I’ve seen discrepancies between HA and the lock/door is when a bunch of actions are taken in rapid succession - ex. locking/unlocking and opening/closing the door more than 4 times in a 10 second window. IMO that is not a real world use case. Normal, day to day operation has been smooth. I trust it enough to use the lock’s entities as part of my HA alarm. We only use the August app for the auto-unlock feature when we arrive home (detects when our phones are in the geographical area of our home and connects via bluetooth when in range to unlock) which is all done automatically - we don’t interact with the app.

That’s just my experience so take it with a grain of salt. Happy to share details.

question, I’m planning to buy the gen 3 pro just so i can use the z wave feature. my question is about the keypad, can i use any keypad or i have to use the august keypad, or any z wave keypad?

please advise