New base image for hass.io

We have now our own base image. Since we have no benefit with use resinio base image and we have big disadvantage while we use it. They build ever week a new image also if no update on alpine available. With the new smaller base image we can better cache on device SD cards. The new base image are available with:

• homeassistant/amd64-base:latest
  • homeassistant/i386-base:latest
  • homeassistant/armhf-base:latest
  • homeassistant/aarch64-base:latest

With new base image we change also the build of homeassistant. So we are able to produce updates with 80-90MB instead 1.5 GB every time. The build look like:

• homeassistant/{ARCH}-homeassistant-base:latest hold all packages and software they need to run homeassistant
  • homeassistant/{ARCH}-homeassistant:{HA-VERSION} plain homeassistant installation for that arch.
  • homeassistant/{MACHINE}-homeassistant:{HA-VERSION} homeassistant installation with additional packages for that machine type (like raspberry, intel-nuc)

The new images run with Alpine Linux 3.6 and also with python 3.6. A big thanks for Alpine Linux team, they make a greate job. Next HomeAssistant release and Hass.IO release bring this image default to your system.

1 Like

Can you please explain how I update to this? Do I need to download a new Raspberry Pi hass .img or can I use a command to update with?

Hmm, I’ve been using just plain homeassistant/home-assistant:latest… for unRaid, is that the best, I should I switch to one of the amd64/i1386 ones?

That will be automatic used on next update. You have no work on that :thumbsup:

Nah, this is just for hassio, however, I switched to the image you’re mentioning to try and get the hassio addons working on unraid (image runs fine, but no success with the addons yet)

1 Like

That is for Hass.IO but if you want also run the alpine based image, you can use homeassistant/amd64-homeassistant:0.47

2 Likes

I’m running on Raspberry Pi 3. Is it a command I use in a terminal or is it run from a webgui? I’m totally new to home-assistant

on the Hass.IO pannel. You will see a update button is a update available

That is for Hass.IO

Oh, hahaha… all this time I’ve been thinking “hass.io” was just an abbreviation for “homeassistant.io

Now that I see “hass.io” is a raspberry pi thing, so much more makes sense :laughing:

It is not only a raspberry pi thing. It is a full docker orchestral sultion

With that considered, is there a plan on the roadmap to create a Docker container of hass.io so it can be run on something like unRAID? Is there even an advantage to that over running a Docker container of just Home Assistant?

Also, will the Docker container be updated to use Alpine as its base instead of Debian? I’m very excited for that if that’s the case. I have an Alpine VM spun up and it’s so light and fast. :+1:

Please look to http://home-assistant.io/hassio

Yes all on hass.io run with aloine linux on docker site.

Hass.IO is a docker:
https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/blob/master/supervisor/README.md

Look also into official docker hub account

1 Like

Found this thread because I am trying to figure out the differences between the homeassistant/home-assistant and homeassistant/amd64-homeassistant docker containers. If I understand this thread correctly, the amd64 one is based on Alpine linux (and the other is not I guess).

I noticed that the first one is 760Mb (at the moment), while the latter is about half it’s size, but I cannot figure out why use one or the other? (I am running home assistant (not hassio) in a docker-compose stack).

Any tips/recommendations?