New Caddy add-on

I am getting HTML5 notifications no problem…

Are you getting the events from the notifications?

I.e triggering automations based on what is selected in the HTML5 notification.

trigger:
  - platform: event
    event_type: html5_notification.clicked
    event_data:
      action: your_event_action_here

I don’t use it for HTML notifications… I can navigate to the html file I created though via https://www.home-assistant.io/components/notify.html5/ instructions. I use iOS and HTML5 doesn’t work with that. Caddy is letting me through to https://example.com/local/google123456789.html with no problems though.

Sure, I don’t have a problem sending them, I have a problem receiving the events back to the api in Hass.

anyone can explain what the differences that addon, and addon dnsmasq? what the advantage?

Is it possible to use two duckdns but different hassio (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2) at same network in one caddyfile?
Or I should create two caddy for each one

@Abertil, you need to proxy the Authorization header. Caddy doesn’t do this by default. On the host that needs to receive the callback do something like:

xxx.xxx.duckdns.org {
    proxy / 192.168.xxx.xxx:xxxx {
        websocket
        transparent
        header_upstream Authorization {>Authorization}
    }
}

@Rodolfo_Vieira, this addon and dnsmasq are two different animals. Caddy is a web server while dnsmasq is (mainly) an DHCP/DNS server.

@yeahh, can you explain a bit more about what you mean? Caddy can definitely proxy to multiple internal hosts.

2 Likes

would that port normally be 8123 for Home Assistant??

Correct. I was mainly just using a snippet of their code. I would actually use localhost like:

proxy / localhost:8123
1 Like

yeah… just checking lol. I tried that in mine and I’ll see what happens if I get a notification.

Hey

I’ve just done a brand new install of HA (my last SD card died), and now I’m having problems installing Caddy. I’ve added the right repo, and when trying to press the Install button it sits for a few seconds, flashes red and shows Install again.

The error in the log is:
19-03-09 17:09:37 INFO (SyncWorker_9) [hassio.docker.interface] Pull image korylprince/hassio-caddy-armv7 tag 1.4. 19-03-09 17:09:40 ERROR (SyncWorker_9) [hassio.docker.interface] Can’t install korylprince/hassio-caddy-armv7:1.4 -> 404 Client Error: Not Found (“pull access denied for korylprince/hassio-caddy-armv7, repository does not exist or may require ‘docker login’”).

I’ve installed it multiple times before, but now it doesn’t work.

The closest post I’ve seen is here: Docker pull issues: error 404 and TLS handshake timeout

It looks like they just added support for armv7. I’ve built and pushed a build for armv7 to Docker Hub. If you have any issues, please comment on the Github Issue.

@korylprince - that is excellent, thank you! works perfectly now :slight_smile:

Hello,
my caddy addon just died. 2 hours ago everything was working perfect and now I’m unable to log into my HA instance from outside my lan. Tried to rollback my last working backup but it changed nothing. No changes were made to my network config. It stopped working without any reason.
Config is:

{
  "flags": [
    "-agree",
    "-email",
    "[email protected]"
  ],
  "env_vars": []
}

My Caddyfile:

xxxxxxx.duckdns.org {
    header / {
    Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=31536000; includeSubdomains"
    X-XSS-Protection "1; mode=block"
    X-Content-Type-Options "nosniff"
    X-Frame-Options "SAMEORIGIN"
    Referrer-Policy "same-origin"
}
    proxy / localhost:8123 {
        websocket
        transparent
    }
}

yyyyyyyy.xxxxxxxxx.duckdns.org {
    proxy / localhost:XXXX {
        websocket
        transparent
    }
}

Do you have any idea what may be wrong?

• my IP is not in ip_bans file
  • router and rpi restarted multiple times
  • HA version 0.97.2
  • Hass.io supervisor 179

Here is a sample of mine… only 2 slight differences to yours. Mine is still working.
I assume you have port 80-80 in your router so that SSL can be renewed?

my-domain.duckdns.org {
    header / {
    Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=31536000; includeSubdomains"
    X-XSS-Protection "1; mode=block"
    X-Content-Type-Options "nosniff"
    X-Frame-Options "SAMEORIGIN"
    Referrer-Policy "same-origin"
    -Server
}
    proxy / localhost:8123 {
        websocket
        transparent
        header_upstream Authorization {>Authorization}
    }
}

@Piramidowy

Is the add-on still running or will it not start? If it won’t start, the Hass.io supervisor log should tell you why.

If it is running, is anything showing on the log when you try and make a request from the outside? If you do see entries then there’s likely an issue with your proxy configuration, and the log entry should help you track that down.

If there’s no log entry then your request is not making it to Caddy, which means your dynamic DNS isn’t working, or your router isn’t forwarding ports correctly.

@korylprince
Thank you for answer.
Add-on is starting and running without errors. Log:

Using built-in Caddy: Caddy 0.11.1 (unofficial)
Running Caddy:  /usr/sbin/caddy -conf /share/caddy/Caddyfile -agree -email [email protected]
Activating privacy features... done.
https://xxx
https:/yyy
http://xxx
http://yyy

Nothing is showing on the log when I make request through duckdns, so there might be problem with DNS, but I’ve not changed anything since couple of days. I saw some reports about new supervisor breaking couple of addons. Do you have an idea if that may be the case?
Forwarding is set like 80->80, 443->443. Hassio is running on static ip.

Small update- I was able to get it working again by changing localhost to actual IP address of my rpi.

proxy / localhost:XXXX {
        websocket
        transparent
    }

to

proxy / IP_ADDRESS:XXXX {
        websocket
        transparent
    }

Interesting to say the least!

There is an issue a LOT of people are seeing with supervisor 179… just weird DNS stuff. There’s a nice shiny nice new hassio_dns container that seems to be the culprit. Frenck advised people to NOT edit the file /usr/share/hassio/dns/corefile but instead from the ssh addon to issue a command

hassio dns options --servers dns://x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x is the ip address of the dns server - in my case my router.
Then to reboot…

As soon as I rebooted, I could still access everything via my ipaddress:port but my duckdns address wouldn’t work either.

I guess it stands to reason… 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 (the default dns servers in that corefile) and also the added x.x.x.x - none of them are going to resolve the localhost to the ip address of the pi.

Long story short, I edited my caddyfile with the ip address of my HA device and restarted caddy and everything roared into life again. So it’s the supervisor 179 that caused this. They are looking for a fix but most probably will continue to need to use the ipaddress instead of localhost in caddy.

I needed to do the exact same thing today after i uppgraded HA.

Another question I’ve tried to find answers to for some while, is it possible to have other addons use the certs created by caddy? For example my unifi controller addon running in hassio?
If so, how do you do it? :slight_smile: