New Chromecast w/ Android TV Integration only showing as Off or Idle

So I have been using ABD fine since the new Chromecast came out without issue with the ABD Server it stop working yesterday and I have tired everything above with no luck. Here’s where things get weird. I did a fresh install and it shows certain apps like (Plex, Hulu and Netflix) but I haven’t added androidtv to my new config. Any other app it shows as off. It doesn’t show Google Launcher. If I stop playing one of the above mentioned apps it just says Hulu Idle no matter how many apps I open after Hulu. I changed the IP on the device as well. Any ideas where go to from here? I have no idea what else to do nothing is helping fix this and it is messing with alot of my automations

I noticed a similar issue; I had originally set up the Google TV with Home Assistant not long after it launched. About three days ago I started making some changes while messing around with the new Jellyfin addon, and at some point noticed that it wasn’t populating a source list. It’s also showing an adb_response: null attribute which I’m not sure if existed/was null before. It’s also showing an idle state for Jellyfin, Emby, YouTube and Twitch when they’re playing. These issues persist after removing the integration, deleting and rebuilding the docker image, then setting it all back up.

Weirdly, the androidtv.adb_command and media_player.select_source services are still working fine though…

It seems like more information is now going through to the Chromecast integration for the same device too. I wish I’d kept better track of how it was working before, but it’s now showing the current app name, correct play/idle state and more media title/artist/series etc info than it used to. Pretty confused by all this, I’m going to keep messing around but interested to hear what others find out as well.

I have the same problem. My device only showing as off or idle.
I`ve tried command from the previous post

CURRENT_APP=$(dumpsys activity a . | grep -E 'mResumedActivity' | cut -d ' ' -f 8) && CURRENT_APP=${CURRENT_APP%%/*} && echo $CURRENT_APP

And it shows correct app.
As I understood you had removed this command… Can I fix my problem in any way? I use hassio.

1 Like

Same issue with Android TV 11.

All example adb commands work and but the entity status is alternating between Idle and Standby while an app is active.

Anyone find a fix for this?
Just updated my Shield to Android 11 and HA now only sees it as idle or standby. No longer detects running app or playing status. :frowning:

2 Likes

Same issue here

Custom component here, which will work until a fix is rolled out…

Thanks, I am trying this, but what am I supposed to enter below?

PS: it worked by entering the IP… but is that screen supposed to look that that?

This is working for me! Just tried it out on android 11 on my shield tv. Im now able to see whats playing again.

This is working for me!

you mean the custom component? (or are you saying it has been fixed in the core component?)

I am having this same issue, using the core component. So I will also switch to the custom one for now.

Update: with the custom component it’s not great either. When I start Kodi on the Shield, it shows “playing” even without content playing on the Kodi. Youtube seems to work correctly, but another streaming app “NLZiet” still keeps the Shield on “idle” while content is playing.

The status issue of AndroidTV not showing current status, seems to have been resolved with a recent core update. You can view the pull request here.

1 Like

Unfortunately not. I have a Lenovo P11 tablet with Android 11 the androditv mediaplayer (Homeassistant 2022.4.0) still switches between idle and playing.
It also does not recognise the app running in the foreground. ((homeassistant companion app)
The query is not correct. You can see this in the curly brackets at the end of the (wrong) app_id, app_name and source string.

Btw. the dumpsys query shows the correct app_id of the active app (companion app or when stopped the app_id of the launcher):

J606F:/ $ dumpsys activity a . | grep -E 'mResumedActivity' | cut -d ' ' -f 8
io.homeassistant.companion.android/.webview.WebViewActivity
J606F:/ $ dumpsys activity a . | grep -E 'mResumedActivity' | cut -d ' ' -f 8
com.tblenovo.launcher/com.android.searchlauncher.SearchLauncher

The second mediaplayer is an old Lenovo tablet with Android 8 and everything works.

:wave:

I have a Chromecast with Google TV integrated with the android TV integration. The status is reported fine, almost all the controls works, and the source works well.

I have two problems, the volume control doesn’t work at all, and I don’t get the album art in any of the apps.

Any clue about if I am doing something wrong?

1 Like

I am having the same issue, TCL TV with Google TV (Android 11) the android TV integration gets some info but barely anything useful. I can turn the TV on and off, but not much else.

Via the Google Cast integration, I got a device which is able to get all inputs and control the volume but it only works when some apps (maybe only YouTube) are open.

Here’s the results when playing simple TV channels

And here’s when playing youtube

I’ve tried running some of the ADB commands in this thread but they do not return much information.

Special attention to the 'InputMethod}:' that is show on app_name, app_id and source. It looks like this is part of the issue.

1 Like

Update, today it shows app_name: 'AssistPreviewPanel}:' not InputMethod}: anymore

1 Like

I’m seeing the exact same scenario’s as @kauelima when using the official integration. The Hacked Integration works better, but it stumbles with certain apps. For instance, when I watch the Sling TV app on my Nvidia Shield, it will only display the entity picture from the Goggle Cast integration and not the Android TV? Yet, it works fine when I use the Tablo TV app. Netflix however, doesn’t display the entity picture on either app?!

No consistency between the two?! lol

1 Like

Hey Mark what hacked one you say, the one posted above by @undulattice? I’ll have to try that one

Yep. that’s the one. It works better than the official integration but still isn’t perfect. I haven’t updated to 2022.05 to see if the May release is any better.