New device won't show in HA?

221 is the static HassOS Home Assistant machine where ESPHome addon and integration runs.

145 is the DHCP smart-plug flashed to ESPHome firmware I’m trying to connect to

I’ve never had to try and put in the address of the plug before anywhere, it “just works”

So somewhat mDNS than worked in the past for you :thinking:

Or just click this Link to Integrations: add integration – My Home Assistant and enter 192.168.3.145

3 Likes

Yeah, mDNS seems to randomly start/stop working for reasons I’ve never figured out why.

I’ve also had the opposite in the past where the HA shows the plugs and ESPHome says they are all offline inexplicably (but didn’t care because it all worked fine that way).

Seems it now is suddenly finding the plug after adding that as an integration, that’s rather confusing with the UI that shows it as 1 but its many? Anyway it shows and responds now (and I was able to use hostname.dns_suffix so DHCP won’t break it later)

3 Likes

If you added it manually it wasn’t found with it’s mDNS hostname (automagically).

That’s great :tada: and I think this possibility was just added very recently (maybe in ha 2022.7?) because before you were only able to add ether the mDNS hostname or the IP. (Maybe this PR includes it ESPHome use dhcp responses to update connection host of known devices by jesserockz · Pull Request #74206 · home-assistant/core · GitHub)

1 Like

I am just curious, personally never used ESPHome, but from what I remember, isn’t it like a Tasmota alternative? I know in order for devices to show from Tasmota you need to insert the 19 command into the command line. Does ESPHome not use something similar?

The part I’m curious about is the advantage of ESPHome over Tasmota, used Tasmota for years with no issues. I could just be completely wrong about them being alts of each other.

Honestly I don’t know the differences between ESPHome and Tasmota but they’re both alternative firmware for the cheap WiFi based devices…I went with ESPHome and Sonoff S31 plugs because I had a friend using HA and could help me figure out how to get it working, and it all “just worked” like magic after flashing the firmware onto it.

This is the first time I have ever experienced this issue where it didn’t “just work” out of the box immediately.

Is ESPHome based on MQTT or another protocol? I’m guessing that may be the major difference after you had to choose between hostname and mDNS. Tasmota, teach the device the topic and login via MQTT, tell it to broadcast and like you said “It Just Works”.

Lot’s of the advantages you will get with the native api :rocket: (but it still supports mqtt)

Advantages over MQTT

The ESPHome native API has many advantages over using MQTT for communication with Home Automation software (currently only Home Assistant). But MQTT is a great protocol and will never be removed. Features of native API (vs. MQTT):

• Much more efficient: ESPHome encodes all messages in a highly optimized format with protocol buffers - for example binary sensor state messages are about 1/10 of the size.
  • One-click configuration: ESPHome just needs one click to set up in Home Assistant - no more messing around with retained MQTT discovery messages and alike.
  • One less single point of failure: In the ESPHome native API each ESP is its own server. With MQTT, when the broker shuts off nothing can communicate anymore.
  • Stability: Since ESPHome has far more control over the protocol than with MQTT, it’s really easy for us to roll out stability improvements.
  • Low Latency: The native API is optimized for very low latency, usually this is only a couple of milliseconds and far less than can be noticed by the eye.

For the native api that’s not necessary and also there is no (extra) point of failure (or “weak link”) needed like a mqtt broker :raised_hands:

Sounds like me clicking the update-all button and having a cold beer :beer: while all of my ~95 esphome devices get their over-the-air update :tada:

1 Like

Bruh, do I need to switch my Tasmos to ESPH? My garage door opener could be faster. I guess the important question here is do they by any chance have an OTA Flash like Tasmota used to? [Obviously near impossible to find eq that works with the OTA Tas now.]

ALSO, THANK YOU FOR THAT!

That’s like the heart from esphome. :heart_decoration:

Just today (like almost every day) someone in the esphome image discord asked for help switching from tasmota.

the esphome.io website is essentially only finest documentation.

And when you have read the getting started guide.

You can continue this one right ahead.

For new devices (you initially flash by cable) the easiest solution nowadays might just hop over to web.esphome.io (chromium based browser needed) and just flash a dummy directly out of the browser you can then “adopt” in your esphome dashboard :rocket:

1 Like

Call me Alice, I’m falling into the Rabbit Hole.
Thanks!

2 Likes

I don’t use MQTT for mine. FWIW, the Sonoff S31 one seem close enough to instant I don’t know how I’d measure the delay. If I toggle a floor lamp on/off it toggles as if I was pushing the physical button on the light its that fast.

Is Chrome based on Chromium, or the other way around, and will Chrome work?

Yes, and Chromium (other than Chrome) is FOSS! :beers:

It’s like Android is based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project).

Yes, that should work a treat :ok_hand:

1 Like

So, from what I am gathering, I can do my garage opener no problem because it plugs in via USB, my lights that are flashed with Tasmota have never been open, nor had the need to. Would I be looking at having to disassemble and solder?

The link I posted is your scenario

and explains how to migrate over the air :signal_strength:

But in general it’s probably easier to start with a wired one because then you have everything in front of you - including serial logs (not only ota logs :raised_hands:)

Have you resolved this yet? The thread went off-track a while ago.
The ESPHome UI is communicating directly with the device. Home Assistant isn’t really in the loop yet. Can you see both the old and the new device files in the ESPHome UI?

How did you make the new device YAML file? Did you use the UI or copy the old YAML file? Make sure you have a different YAML file for both devices.

Thread went off track because they resolved it.

after the first flash all updates are done OTA.
Personally, I compile and do OTA from windows, haven’t touched esphome dashboard in HA since ages.
https://esphome.io/guides/installing_esphome.html#windows

This way you write your code in VS code, and save the file as an example.yaml.
Enter following command

esphome run example.yaml 

and vola! you are up and running with updates.

1 Like

Oh yeah sorry forgot to hit the “solution” button on the one that solved it…I got distracted when this annoying thing called a “work week” happened. Yay.

1 Like