New device won't show in HA?

That’s like the heart from esphome. :heart_decoration:

Just today (like almost every day) someone in the esphome image discord asked for help switching from tasmota.

the esphome.io website is essentially only finest documentation.

And when you have read the getting started guide.

You can continue this one right ahead.

For new devices (you initially flash by cable) the easiest solution nowadays might just hop over to web.esphome.io (chromium based browser needed) and just flash a dummy directly out of the browser you can then “adopt” in your esphome dashboard :rocket:

1 Like

Call me Alice, I’m falling into the Rabbit Hole.
Thanks!

2 Likes

I don’t use MQTT for mine. FWIW, the Sonoff S31 one seem close enough to instant I don’t know how I’d measure the delay. If I toggle a floor lamp on/off it toggles as if I was pushing the physical button on the light its that fast.

Is Chrome based on Chromium, or the other way around, and will Chrome work?

Yes, and Chromium (other than Chrome) is FOSS! :beers:

It’s like Android is based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project).

Yes, that should work a treat :ok_hand:

1 Like

So, from what I am gathering, I can do my garage opener no problem because it plugs in via USB, my lights that are flashed with Tasmota have never been open, nor had the need to. Would I be looking at having to disassemble and solder?

The link I posted is your scenario

and explains how to migrate over the air :signal_strength:

But in general it’s probably easier to start with a wired one because then you have everything in front of you - including serial logs (not only ota logs :raised_hands:)

Have you resolved this yet? The thread went off-track a while ago.
The ESPHome UI is communicating directly with the device. Home Assistant isn’t really in the loop yet. Can you see both the old and the new device files in the ESPHome UI?

How did you make the new device YAML file? Did you use the UI or copy the old YAML file? Make sure you have a different YAML file for both devices.

Thread went off track because they resolved it.

after the first flash all updates are done OTA.
Personally, I compile and do OTA from windows, haven’t touched esphome dashboard in HA since ages.
https://esphome.io/guides/installing_esphome.html#windows

This way you write your code in VS code, and save the file as an example.yaml.
Enter following command

esphome run example.yaml 

and vola! you are up and running with updates.

1 Like

Oh yeah sorry forgot to hit the “solution” button on the one that solved it…I got distracted when this annoying thing called a “work week” happened. Yay.

1 Like