New Home Assistant Add-on: GoDaddy DNS

I’ve been using this successfully with two hosts.

However I added a new home assistant host today, and there seems to be an issue with Godaddy API. I get the following error when looking in the log. I also have starting getting this on the older hosts, which have been working as they should for the past year.

Attatched is the error:

• Deploying challenge tokens…
    {“code”:“ACCESS_DENIED”,“message”:“Authenticated user is not allowed access”}

Seems like the issue is with Godaddy…

Getting unauthorized URL error while trying to get cert for subdomains - Help - Let’s Encrypt Community Support (letsencrypt.org)

Yep, they have introduced restrictions to the API usage, you need to have at least 10 domains to be able to use the API or a paid subscription. Introduced without any warning or communication to customers. Still there is not a single word about those restrictions. I’ve spent almost an hour on a phone with their support and they were not able to tell me what’s wrong. I’ve transferred my domain to name.com - their API works all OK.

Are you using some other addon to update the dns at name.com? Please share your process, I’ll be forced to switch as well.

No addons. I have a shell script running on my NAS (TrueNAS) that is updating the DNS record pointing to my server. This is based on those instructions, now obviously updated to the name.com API. https://www.instructables.com/Quick-and-Dirty-Dynamic-DNS-Using-GoDaddy/
Also some other scripts (using the acme.sh certificate automatic renewal) automatically renewing letscencrypt certificate and deploying it all over the place to various services (e.g. nginx reverse proxy, plex, truenas, portainer etc.).

I have kept my domain name with godaddy, due to I’m using personalized email with Outlook.com. Microsoft\Outlook.com Office 365 family only supports GoDaddy as domain name provider with the use of personalized email. So the new api poll limitation from GoDaddy was a huge downside for me.

However I managed to keep GoDaddy and the personalized email. But I have pointed the GoDaddy domain registrars to use Cloudflare DNS servers and copied the domain zone file(DNS registers) from GoDaddy to Cloudflare. Then I get the best from both worlds with keeping personalized email with Office 365 Family and using Cloudflare DNS servers (using the official HA - Let’s Encrypt addon to generate new certificates from Cloudflare).

1 Like