New, incorrect Zwave-js device entities on restart

I’m running HA 2021.12 but this has been happening for the past 2+ months.
Running latest version of zwavejs2mqtt

Many times when I restart HA, one or ore new, incorrect Zwave entities appear for my devices. Many times it seems to be air temperature or illuminance for my Inovelli Red Series switches but incorrect entities have also appeared for water sensors and other switches I have.

For example when I restarted HA today to upgrade to 2021.12.4, these 2 new, erroneous entities appeared:
sensor.basement_bathroom_light_and_fan_electric_consumption_w
sensor.hallway_lights_air_temperature

How can I prevent this from happening or further troubleshoot?

I’ve been seeing this behaviour too, since long before HA 2021.12, and it’s been driving me crazy. I expect to see an identical list of entities from identical devices, and it’s far from being the case.

For example, I have 3 Aeon Labs MultiSensor 6 (ZW100) units. One of them has entities which make no sense at all:

• sensor.livingroom_multi_tank_capacity
  • sensor.livingroom_multi_water_acidity
  • sensor.livingroom_multi_angle_position
  • sensor.livingroom_multi_barometric_pressure
  • sensor.livingroom_multi_direction
  • sensor.livingroom_multi_particulate_matter_2_5
  • sensor.livingroom_multi_radon_concentration
  • sensor.livingroom_multi_unknown_0x83

Some of these entities came with the following lines in the HA log file:

2022-01-02 16:56:30 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave_js] Discovery for value Value(value_id='8-49-0-Water acidity') on device 'Living room multi sensor' (Node(node_id=8)) will be skipped: Value Value(value_id='8-49-0-Water acidity') has unknown data in the following location: metadata.cc_specific.scale. A reinterview of node Node(node_id=8) may correct this issue, but if it doesn't, please report this issue as it may be caused by either an upstream issue with the driver or missing support for this data in the library
2022-01-02 16:56:30 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave_js] Discovery for value Value(value_id='8-49-0-UNKNOWN (0x00)') on device 'Living room multi sensor' (Node(node_id=8)) will be skipped: Value Value(value_id='8-49-0-UNKNOWN (0x00)') has unknown data in the following location: metadata.cc_specific.sensorType. A reinterview of node Node(node_id=8) may correct this issue, but if it doesn't, please report this issue as it may be caused by either an upstream issue with the driver or missing support for this data in the library

I did the re-interview and I don’t see these values in the Z-Wave JS interface (outside of HA) anymore, but I can’t get rid of the ‘ghost’ entities in HA unless I manually edit the files in the .storage folder.
Also, this is by no means the only Z-Wave device I have with ‘ghost’ entities, but it is by far the worst offender.

You cannot select them from entities and delete? I would go to Configuration → Integrations and click entities on the zwavejs Integration. That filters the entity list.Click the box beside the entities and then click Remove Selected in the upper right.

When clicking an individual entity, the Delete button in the lower left corner is greyed out.
When selecting multiple entities and clicking Remove selected, I get this:

Perhaps you could disable them following the same process?

Of course they can be disabled, that’s not the point. The point is these entities shouldn’t even exist. They are created for sensors that are not even present within a device.

Perhaps there is a problem with the device record in the zwavejs database. I opened a GitHub issue on node-zwave-js earlier on a different device and was able to get it properly updated.

This is due to either a bug in the Z-Wave SDK/Device firmware, or corruption of messages over the air. It’s possible for messages to be corrupted yet still match the CRC. The Aeotec Multisensor 6 seems to a common offender.

Since v8.5.0, Z-Wave JS is filtering out these bad reports, if it’s able to. It should be able to with the ZW100.

2 Likes

Any idea how that corresponds to the addon versions?

For the zwavejs2mqtt addon, look at the changelog history to get the z2m version of the addon version, then look at the z2m release notes for its driver version.

For the Z-Wave JS addon, look at the changelog.

1 Like

Thank you for that explanation, that makes sense. I’ve had these bad entities for quite some time, so probably long before v8.5.0 came out.

Is there any way I can force HA to notice the bad entities no longer exist, so I could perhaps remove them? Since the re-interview in Z-Wave JS, I can’t find the bad values in there anymore but HA seems to be unaware of that. Reloading the integration and restarting HA has not changed anything, unfortunately.

Perhaps deleting & re-adding the zwavejs Integration?