New installation of HA and MQTT configuration

From everything I’ve read it appears that if you’ve started using Home Assistant after Mosquitto 6.0.1 was the latest release there are zero options to use MQTT and Home Assistant. Is this understanding correct?

Can I setup linux server running the correct version? Where to I find that correct version?

Is there a docker image of the correct version that I could install?

System version: Home Assistant 2021.11.0 (the latest)

Where did you read this ?

the latest release of mosquitto is 2.0.13

if you are using a Debian based linux distribution you can install it using apt though it will probably be an older version, I am using the latest packages through Mosquitto PPA in Launchpad

There are a few posts about difficulty setting up the integration and challenges. I’m trying to understand if there is a configuration that does work with the latest Mosquitto (6.0.1)

Here are a few of the communities comments about this:

My goal is: Should I spend more time trying to get this to work or wait until 6.0.1 is patched to use MQTT, HA, and auto discovery?

I really don’t know. I have 102 mqtt devices and 506 mqtt entities running smoothly, but in the almost 3 years I’m running home-assistant, I never used the add-on. Simply running mosquitto 2.0.13 on bare metal.