New integration: Magic Swithcbot

Just a note to say that the component is now part of the “default” HACS repositories.
No need to add it as custom repository, you just search for “Magic Switchbot” and you can add the repository to your installation.

1 Like

Nice job! Thank you.

I have a problem to configure it.
installed via HA but seems I cannot connext to the device.

my HA version and logs in attachments. Thanks in advance for any piece of advice what shall I do.

Hi.

From what I see at your first log, you have a basic bluetooth connectivity problem. This happened to me at the very beginnings, and it was caused by not having permissions to use the bluetooth dongle.
I fixed it using the setcap command, as I wrote at the docs, but I think your case may be different as you are using HassOS (so it’s running inside docker). I have no experience about HassOS or docker as I am using HA core from the beginning, and I don’t know if you need anything additional to control the bluetooth dongle, or may be it cannot be done. This article talks about this but I don’get a clear conclusion. Maybe you could log into your docker and check if the bluetooth dongle (usually hci0) is working OK.

Some things you could try:

• hciconfig
  • hcitool ble scan

Hope you can solve it, give me some feedback about your tests.

Hi, what’s the bluetooth range for device like raspberry pi 4 if paired with magic switchbot?

Also, other than using built in bluetooth, is there a way to extend bluetooth range?

Hi, @ferbulous.

I don’t run HA on a PI, so I cannot tell you about the range.
If you can run hcitool lescan and read “MagicSwitchbot” in the list of detected devices, you must be good to go.

About the second question, I have an external bluetooth dongle attached to an extension USB cord, and I can place it as near as I can to the devices I have to control.
If your internal device is for example hci0, your external one should be hci1 and so on…

1 Like

hi @ec-blaster
Is it possible to use this tool for extending bluetooth
coverage to the magic switchbot?

I didn’t know about that project. I understand it’s a way to decentralize the Bluetooth devices management.
It doesn’t seem to be very difficult, but I don’t have the time to investigate it, and I have no device to try it on.
In addition, I’ve been reading the code of the switchbot devices, and the logic is way simpler than the MagicSwitchbot’s. I could maybe give you some directionsif you want to try and code it.

Hi! I am not able to install the integration… Using HACS I am able to add the repo, but when I search for integrations, I can not see the magichome integration… I allready tried to wipe browser cache and restart HA.

In the custom components folder, I see the Magic switchbot folder… Also tried to add the device in configuration.yaml. But I cannot find the device itself… So I think the integration is still not installed??