New Integration Request: Bouncie - OBD2 vehicle tracking

Submitted a PR to HA: bouncie integration - bare minimum features by mandarons · Pull Request #83247 · home-assistant/core · GitHub
This PR includes very minimal REST API based functionality. My goal is to get integration in place first and add more features/improve stability later. There is still more work to do. Figuring that out now.

4 Likes

Very nice!

Offtopic: Seeing this notification makes me so happy there were no Big Brother devices when I was young and used the family car. Give it another 10 years and we’ll have livestreaming GPS trackers, cameras and microphones implanted in our children. Another 10 years and a mindreading chip will probably be added as well.

No more “how did this dent get on the bumper” the next morning, but a telephone call like “HA tells me you just thought about skipping class, don’t you dare”. xD

Okay now all the changes are in. Waiting for HA folks to approve the PR. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This integration is just what I’ve been looking for. Excited to see this is a work in progress! :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Really excited to give this a shot!! I enjoyed making what I needed to work with Node Red in HA, learned quite a bit, but I can say I’m looking forward to a legit integration!! I really appreciate the effort you have put into this! Now it’s time for us Bouncie users to push Bouncie to expose more data!!

2 Likes

very cool!

Quick update: I resolved all the review comments. Hopefully, the PR will get merged soon.

3 Likes

Announcement: Bouncie custom component release 0.1.0

While we wait for official integration to be accepted by HA folks, you can use Bouncie integration as a custom component today in your Home Assistant instance.
For more information, please visit -

2 Likes

loaded it up today, super excited about this! thanks!

1 Like

@mandarons Thank you so much for your awesome work!

Guys if you’re enjoying his work you may buy him coffee here: mandarons is using technology to simplify our lives

2 Likes

Agreed, thanks @mandarons, loaded up in HACS and bought a coffee! Will be great to see this as an official integration as well!

1 Like

@mandarons I found an easier way to authorize devices for Bouncie. In your instructions, you mention having to visit a specific URL to get the authorization code. However, at the Bouncie Dev site there is a tab at the top that says “Users and Devices”. All you need to do is click that tab (after setting up your application of course), and then click the blue button “Authorize My Devices”. This will allow you to authorize your user and, once authorized, it will show you the authorization code right at that page. Screenshot below.

Also, per your instructions, you list the link to the Bouncie Dev site as “https://bouncie.dev/login/”. However, this link results in an “Internal Server Error”. I believe the link should be “https://bouncie.dev/”.

1 Like

@mandarons Thanks again for your work on this. I was successful at setting this up in HACS and see sensors showing data. However, the “Car Address” sensor is showing “Unknown”. I haven’t driven the vehicle since setting up the integration, so maybe this will start to update once the vehicle moves?

Is it possible to add a current Lat/Lon location sensor to this integration to show the precise location in addition to the address? What I was hoping to do is to show the real-time location of the vehicle on the “Map” dashboard in Home Assistant (for geolocation/geofencing purposes). I am not sure if this would work with the current “Address” sensor?

That’s easier. I cannot see that option as I don’t have a Bouncie device. Please submit a PR to the repo to update the README. You can do that directly from this link: Update README. Make the changes and select the Create a new branch for this commit and start a pull request option at the bottom.

I have seen some instances of Car Address as Unknown. I am guessing the Bouncie server was not able to resolve to a particular street address with high enough confidence given the car’s location.

Regarding lat/lon - sure. It can be done. I will look into it. Please feel free to submit a feature request for this and any future requests/bugs.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendations, I submitted both the changes and the feature request. I only recently started contributing to GitHub, so let me know if you would like something done a different way.

1 Like

Car’s address is in String format and Bouncie API returns this address only when you park your car and then you have to open the Bouncie app so API can convert lat and long to address format. So in reality this address isn’t that much useful for most of the users. But it is useful for me as I can use this address to get street cleaning notification. Bouncie REST API has latitude and longitude. Hopefully @mandarons can implement in future release.

2 Likes

Announcement: Bouncie custom component release 0.2.0

This release includes a bug fix for multiple vehicles, new device_tracker entity added for a vehicle.

2 Likes

Works great so far. Not sure if the data updates frequently or not.
Could you add metric support as well?

Thanks,
mlewan