New to this, project for me and a 9 year old

Oh god, you had to suggest something a 9 year old would love didn’t you!!!

:slight_smile:

If you need any help let me know

my config is on github https://github.com/lonebaggie/Home_Assistant-Config/blob/master/README.md

That will work as well.

I will check that out thank you :slight_smile:

Well, its taken me 3 days but finally zigbee is working. No idea what I had done wrong the first time round but I started over and it’s working! So now I think I’m at the basic level.

The Child wants to get the Philips Wiz and Calex Bulbs working with HA but not sure if we can get that going. We’d need to flash the Calex bulb but I think its recent firmware so I think we’d have to do that manually as opposed to OTA.

At least we can get zigbee bulbs now!

Not sure where you are located, but just in case you weren’t aware, IKEA has Zigbee bulbs, switches, etc: tradfri - Search - IKEA. I don’t use them myself (I have Hue), but many do and it’s another option. Not sure which Zigbee hub you are using, but they seem to work with most from what I’ve read.

I think this is a great project to do with your 9 year old! Lucky kid!

To get the Wiz bulbs working, you need 2 things:

their ip addresses, and a custom integration (until it moves to native integration anyway)

I recommend giving the wiz bulbs on the network a static ip address outside the DHCP range first, then verify in the Wiz app after a power cycle that it has the new address. If you cannot set a static ip on your router, you may be able to do a reserved DHCP address, which also works.

This is the custom integration:

Even though the instructions say to use git clone, you can just download the zip file if your OS does not have the git tools installed

1 Like

We flashed a zigbee dongle which is now working alongside the pi, haven’t looked at zwave yet.

I’m trying to decide whether to use tuya based gu10s or zigbee ones. I just have no idea whether it matters!

I can get 2 (Tuya) x colour gu10s for £13 at the moment from tesco

I may consider getting rid of them to be honest, there is one in the lamp in the child’s room, I’ve got a led strip light in mine and then we have two gu10s downstairs. I’d put the strip light in his room, and maybe use the bulb in one of the lamps lying around the house. But I don’t think I’m going to continue with the Wiz system. In fact I might even return the wiz led strip as it was a lot of money

As another option as stated you can also use Tradfri Ikea g10 bulbs as another alternative, and they work great and cheap.

I’m a sucker for colour bulbs, we like to disco round the house. I mean its not required in the kitchen…I guess

1 Like

hmmm I’m assuming I should delete my groups and automations (limited ones) out of Hue and start again in HA

I’m picking up some old speakers tomorrow, plan to get a couple of pi’s and make them airplay compatible via HA

I am only using the RGBW type of Wiz bulbs, and only using them as part of an alert bulb system, for which they work very well since all communication is local and instantaneous. I no longer use the app since HA has full control

If someone leaves an exterior door open for too long, or the doorbell is pressed, or the home alarm status changes, (etc), the bulbs will all turn on with a specific color for a specific period of time based on the alert, and a message is sent to my phone and tv for display. It works very well with these bulbs, and has prevented several dangerous situations.

They have too low of a frequency, so I can see the dimming pulses, and are thus not optimal for use as a dimmed bulb as the primary source of light, but as an extra light source (white or color) they work just fine.

Zigbee uses a substantially lower amount of power than Wifi, in a socketed light bulb that will generally make no difference, but for battery powered devices with lots of communication it matters a lot. A large amount of Wifi devices connected to a single router/access point can also result in issues with the reliability of communication, and may or may not present itself at all, some of my devices with low signal strength will drop for a few seconds if a battery powered Wifi device connects, for example.

Zigbee is on the same frequency band as Wifi, microwaves, some wireless headphones, Bluetooth, etc. If you have lots of neighbors or are in an area with municipal Wifi, you may have serious issues, wheras Z-wave is on a lower frequency band which has better range and less crowding. Zigbee devices MAY also use the 868Mhz band, but you need to check, as it is optional.

I’m surrounded by old people, literally either side of me and then across the road. So I like to think they don’t have wifi lol!!

I do actually plan to have some “warning” lights set up for the doors, especially if we’ve left the back door open for the dogs too long etc.

Have a look at Tuya Local . this will let you use Tuya devices without the cloud or reflashing them

To make life eiser installing all the third party apps install HACS

I installed HACS, something went wrong, removed it, reinstalled it and now I can’t even access HASS at all so I’m starring again…

In other news, I raided Lidl today and they now have no GU10 bulbs left. I have 12 in my kitchen, I have another 3 in the box and I still need 3 more for the bathroom. And I went to 2 Lidls. So if anyone is trying to buy them in York(UK)

I’m really sorry…