New UPS HA compatible

I am a bit confused as there are two NUT, one as an integration and one as a HASSIO add-on. Which would be better to use?

The integration just talks to an existing installation of NUT, which the add on provides Iā€™d assume. So you Need both.

As said I have NUT itself running on the host OS and use the integration just to show a few stats, it would not be needed for the functionality.

In summary I have to connect a USB port of the Rpi to the data port of the UPS and then the host to be inserted is the IP address of the raspberry. Then I install the NUT addon and the NUT integration.
Right so?

You plug it into usb, yes. Then install NUT which should detect most UPS on its own. Then the integration should Auto discover NUT on its own.

1 Like

See the main reason why you want to connect the USB port to the UPS is that you can then gracefully shutdown your server in case the battery runs flat. And to change a setting or two on the UPS. Everything else is nice but not necessary.

With the configuration that maurizio53 is suggesting, as it looks pretty vanilla, do the addins then provide the ability to generate an SMTP email? I will be monitoring a remote HA instillation and Iā€™m thinking I would want to know Hey we are all shutting down now due to power; we get the power notifications form the utility company, but it would be good to know if I have something locally isolated going on. Iā€™m just beginning to explore if any SMTP email generation is possible.

I finally received after two months, the cable to connect the UPS unit to my Rpi4. I installed the addon, I connected a USB port of the Raspberry to the DATA port of the UPS, I configured the sensor. After restarting HA I have all the sensors configured, but when I go to install the integration and enter trying ā€˜localhostā€™ or the IP of the raspberry as host, I am told that it is not possible to connect. Maybe after connecting the two devices with the cable, do I have to reboot the Raspberry? And what to enter in HOST? localhost or the IP?

how have you installed everything?
I installed NUT natively on the Dockerhost.
UPSD (the daemon) is accessible from HA via localhost.
what does the error message say exactly? could be that you have to configure user/password for it. they are to be found in /etc/ups/upsd.users

Sorry, now all is okā€¦ The integration found my UPS and created more sensors than the ones the addon states in the documentation.
My question now is: can i safely disable the ups sensor inside the configuration.yaml?

Actually i have this:

- platform: nut
  name: "APC Backup-UPS 650"
  host: a0d7b954-nut
  username: 'xxxxxx'
  password: 'xxxxx'
  resources:
    - battery.charge
    - battery.runtime
    - ups.load
    - ups.status

But as i said the integration created more sensorsā€¦

in general yes, when your NUT was autodiscovered, you dont need the yaml part, afaik.
cannot check, as I am not using Home Assistant anymore.

1 Like

I just bought an Eaton 5S750 and I havenā€™t a clue how to configure it. Iā€™d really appreciate you sharing your config with me.

My Eaton has a USB cable, but when I install the NUT integration Iā€™m prompted for the host, port, user name, and password. Is this my HA instance running on RPI? If so, How do I get the RPi to recognize the Eaton?

Sure :slight_smile:
thing is: HA is not talking to the UPS, its talking to the NUT daemon over the network, and the NUT daemon talks to your UPS.

so you need to install and configure NUT: https://networkupstools.org/

usually, HA then discovers it automatically. During setup, you can also configure user/pw

Ah. Can I SSH to my HA system to do this, or is it recommended to put the NUT on a different RPi?

well, I am not using HA anymore, but on my own smarthome server, I have installed NUT on the same machine that also hosts my smarthome solution. Not a Raspberry, but shouldnā€™t make any difference

so go ahead, SSH onto your RPi and install NUT :slight_smile: