Newbee editing configuration file and adding devices

Hi guys, I’m new to forum I apologise if I have posted this in wrong section.
I’m a newbee to home assistant. Im just wondering if im doing this right. Inside the configuration.yaml file I add my device by copying the command from HA website but on front end it doesn’t show is there something else I have to do to have it on the front end with a control??

Perhaps a little more information? What device are you trying to setup? Can you post your configuration.yaml file for us to look at?

In general, the frontend will show controls for all configured devices if you have them setup correctly and haven;t told it to hide them explicitly.

Sorry aimc… relay connected to arduino which is connected to raspberry via USB… I also have a nest thermostat… chromecast… and logitech harmony… obviously harmony isn’t supported but I’m sure there’s a work around…

Sorry, all devices that I don’t have but I am sure someone else will be able to help. Harmony isn’t officially supported but there is a thread about it here.

Thanks aimc… all I’m doing is going to HA component page, find my component, then pasting comand into yaml file at the bottom im unsure if this is how to make the device visable in front end. Thanks for your help

We really need to see your configuration.yaml file to help you further - yaml is very picky about spacing and if it is wrong you could end up with this kind of problem. When you post it, make sure to use the preformatted text setting on the editor so we can see the indentation properly.

thanks ok silly question how do i copy it correctly onto post?

Paste it into your post, select all of it and then click the button in the editor that looks like </>.

Or more easily, post it between 2 lines of 3 backticks (I can’t show you exactly how because the editor will swallow it) - you are looking for a backwards sloping apostrophe. Put 3 on the beginning of one line. Paste your config starting on the next, then end with another 3 backticks. Sounds a lot more complicated than it is …

ok just waiting on my pi coming online then ill post thanks again

homeassistant:
 homeassistant:
  # Name of the location where Home Assistant is running
  name: Home
  # Location required to calculate the time the sun rises and sets
  latitude: 51.4964
  longitude: -0.1224
  # C for Celsius, F for Fahrenheit
  temperature_unit: C
  # Pick yours from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones
  time_zone: Europe/London

# Checks for available updates
updater:

# Enables support for tracking state changes over time.
history:

# Allows you to issue voice commands from the frontend
conversation:

# Show links to resources in log and frontend

# Track the sun
sun:

# Discover some devices automatically
discovery:

# View all events in a logbook
logbook:

# Prediction of weather
sensor:
   platform: yr

# Enables the frontend
frontend:

thermostat:
  platform: nest

nest:
  username: my username
  password: mypassword

thermostat:

Silly question but…did you restart HASS after every configuration change?

Yes after every change…

First of all, sorry but I’m on mobile, but…

1. Why two homeassistant: ? I think it should be just one
  2. I don’t see no reference for your arduino stuff…
  3. On your sensor: , platform:: is not correctoy indented, there should be 2 or 4 spaces
  4. Why 2 thermostast:?

Hi thanks for the reply dan,

I already tried arduino stuff to no avail so I thought get one working first and build from there, Thermostat states on instruction for nest it must have these two lines of coding. what do you mean two home assistants?

First and second line of your config. And for the thermostats…there are two that are equal, and maybe they collide.
Anyway…does the log shows anything?

Try:

homeassistant:
  # Name of the location where Home Assistant is running
  name: Home
  # Location required to calculate the time the sun rises and sets
  latitude: 51.4964
  longitude: -0.1224
  # C for Celsius, F for Fahrenheit
  temperature_unit: C
  # Pick yours from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones
  time_zone: Europe/London

# Checks for available updates
updater:

# Enables support for tracking state changes over time.
history:

# Allows you to issue voice commands from the frontend
conversation:

# Show links to resources in log and frontend

# Track the sun
sun:

# Discover some devices automatically
discovery:

# View all events in a logbook
logbook:

# Prediction of weather
sensor:
   platform: yr

# Enables the frontend
frontend:

thermostat:

nest:
  username: my username
  password: mypassword

If that is not working, check your log.

log only shows sun rising, but within panel if I click on ‘services’ I can see stat available in available services.

Same result as my previous conf file… any ideas?

Are you sure that you are editing the correct configuration file? Where is your configuration file located?