NFC Tags without clicks

Ah yes, I know tasker. Haven’t used that in awhile, hoping I don’t have to load it on all phones vs something native to either HA, the Android app, or Android (like Shortcuts)

Thank you for quick response.

For what it’s worth, Android works without a click/pop-up, OOTB. Set it up via HA App, then used device IDs and Tag ID to only allow certain members to open lock/action.

Thanks for this! It works pretty good.

My only issue is with reliability of triggering. I bought a pack of “NTAG215 25mm NFC Stickers” from Amazon and running an iPhone 13 Pro. I often have to tap multiple times and it has to land on the perfect spot around the camera of my phone. Sometimes I have to unlock first, sometimes not.

It seems like the stickers have a weak antenna or something. Has anyone experienced this? Are there certain brands that are worth it for better reliability? Thanks!

Thank you so much for this! I used to be able to run HomeKit commands triggered by Siri Shortcuts without any sort of prompts or authentication but looks like Apple killed that with iOS 15. This is a great work around!

op:
What nfc tag did you get for your iphone? Will it work for iphone 8? I would like to set up one to try.

Thanks for the tip. It works!

However, it is also possible to activate specific service calls directly without needing to define new events. Just follow the example in the documentation. Just tested and it works. I can toggle lights and unlock the door without needing to unlock my iPhone or press on a notification.

1 Like

I’m just wondering if there could be some other solution for this, at least eventually.

It would be really nice to be able to scan a tag and for Home Assistant to fire an automation based on that scan, WITHOUT any confirmation by tapping the notification first…and all that happening WITHOUT the iOS Shortcuts, which are personal and won’t work for everyone in the house unless specifically created for all users separately, right?

Maybe it’s a limitation by Apple that can’t be avoided…and the “run tag action automatically” type of tag-reading in iOS is not possible (without Shortcuts), but it sure would be great if iOS would allow to trigger (maybe a list of trusted tags only or something) automatically without personal Shortcuts.

Then, we could have tags around the house for various things that can be scanned by anyone living there (a user of the HA system) and do the action immediately.

it is

I still have to unlock my phone doing it this way. Not sure why my results are different. Utilizing IPhone 14 Pro max

So basically because of the limitation of the iPhone and NEEDING to use the Shortcuts app to run the tag, NFC Tags are completely useless for a house that has more than one person living in it?

This seems like a pretty big shortcoming of having an NFC tag or is there some sort of work around for this? It would be nice if my fiancé can just wave her phone near certain things without user interaction (because her Home Assistant app is logged in on her phone) vs creating Shortcut Automations on every device in the house which would be annoying to say the least.

:man_shrugging:

It’s something I want too. But again, Apple is the one with the restrictions

Well, I think I got the Mrs on board with clicking the home assistant banner to trigger the Nfc. Fingers crossed.

Pain the butt but I’ve managed it in two ways:

1. All of the smarts are done within HA automations. In the Shorcuts app it’s simply one trigger (NFC tag) and one action, which is calling either a HA event or service.

2. Borrowed my wife’s phone for a half hour and just went around creating all of the personal automations on her phone. Because it’s specific to her phone I’ve been able to personalize things even further by returning her name or other specific information as feedback on her device if the application warrants it.

Any chance the new open NFC features in iOS 18.1 can be leveraged to allow a better native experience from the Home Assistant app when tapping NFC tags?

I FOUND A SOLUTION!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/shortcuts/comments/ybj8xq/ist_it_possible_to_deactivate_this_notification/

Use this!

I have setup the NFC Tag like normally, Create a Shortcut in the Shortcut App with the “Fire Event”, set a Name.

Then in HA, set everything there up like you normally do.

THEN! Use the App NFC Tools, go to EMPY TAG, and FORMAT TAG, after that, the Tag will still be readable for Shortcut/HA, but the Notifications doesnt shows up!

The only downside is, the iPhone has to be activ, not unlocked, but the display has to be turned on!

Hope i could help!