NGINX, reverse proxy, overall security - need advice and knowledge

Just as an added layer of security. I have HASS as SSL with password but figured behind a VPN as well would provide additional security… no?

So your PFSense is going out and using something like PIA VPN? If so, I fail to see how that gives you any extra security, in this situation. Connecting your home network to a VPN is intended to SURF anonymously. You kind of need your public IP in order to host a service. Putting a VPN in the way just doesn’t make sense.

I tried putting HASS on the VPN VLAN (VPN out) and all my Alexa on a separate VLAN and could never get them to work together.

I now have both HASS and the Alexa devices on the same VLAN (without VPN) and they still do not talk to each other (i guess) and I cannot get Alexa to discover any devices. Very frustrating.

I was using the Alexa Cloud component but even tried reverting back to my previous emulated hue and nothing.

I’ve been watching the firewall logs and opening up ports left and right but still nothing.

I have access to HASS regardless of where I put it and can control my devices via the web gui but I definitely want to figure out how to go back to voice control.

I had started another thread in case anyone else would see it and assist. So far though when I installed avahi on pfSense, Alexa is now finding devices. I may move my HASS back to the VPN to test.