No State Available When Switching to Lovelace

So you are saying the entire control is gone when off?

I’ll have to check the logs when I get back home. But my NVIDIA Shield TV used to show up as “unavailable” or sometimes not at all as a control prior to this release. But it never gave an error message. Now, when I switch to the Lovelace UI, I get that error message.

The only thing that displays as normal is the Chromecast component for the Shield TV.

Here is the behavior that I noticed, did my setup this morning:

• Media Players (Samsung TV and Fire Stick) didn’t show in the dev-states
  • Turned all of them on
  • Entities did not show up relatively soon ( 2-3 min.) so I restarted HA
  • All entities were present
  • Created “media control” lovelace cards for all of them.
  • Turned “off” all TVs and Fire Stick and left to run errands.
  • Came back to a 403: Forbidden in the UI (This may or may not be related
  • CLeared the ip_bans.yaml file and restarted HA.
  • My Media Players (TV and Firestick) showed the same error as the OP, but I could see Media Control card for all of them (although they were red and showed the error message)
  • Turned on my Office TV and after a long wait period, this media player showed up in dev-states
  • But now, the Media Control Lovelace card is gone my front end

Note that this is not happening with my Kodi, Roku or any of my Sonos speakers, I still can see all of them. A little puzzling, and no entries in the log related to media.player.

Quick update, I just checked ( 1hour later) and the Lovelace card for my Office TV is now showing, but still getting errors for my other 2 TVs and no entry in the dev-states

That’s basically my issue, too, berniebl.

The NVIDIA Shield TV media player (media_player.shield_living_room) only shows up on the UI when it’s playing media like from Plex. Otherwise, it doesn’t exist according to Home Assistant - so there isn’t any logs to view. Unlike my other media players like Roku, when it’s Idle, it is still there and I can it on or off.

But here is another issue I am having, when I try to “Configure UI” in the lovelace UI, I get the following error message:

“Saving failed: Not supported”

http://tinypic.com/r/a0vxc7/9

Update: With no changes to the code, I am now getting the “No State Available” error message anymore, but the media_player is now showing to be “Unavailable”.

I am confused.

I have the same issue with my Sony Bluray player.

it was discovered automatically as a media player and I added it to my frontend in the old system but switching to lovelace it shows the “red-box-of-death” :slightly_smiling_face: when the device is turned off.

I’m also getting this - anyone find a reason?

Same here… I find if it’s off when HA starts up I get the red box of death. If it’s on when HA starts or subsequently on, HA sees it and shows the state but if you turn it off it then shows as unavailable. It’s expected behaviour from what I can see… I can’t use the Samsung App to turn on my TV either - only control it when it is on (or turn it off). It’s a limitation of the devices.

Not sure that I believe that it’s a limitation of the devices, this behavior never showed up in prior release.
I still haven’t figured out a way around this issue. I hope that some Devs can take a look at this and maybe scan the code.

Same issue here.
The lovelace panel is showing the red json error message when SamsungTV or Chromecast are turned off for a while.
Maybe it really depends on the devices being off on HA startup.

It is exactly as I said for the reasons I said.

Have you found a solution?
Last friday i did the final upgrade on 0.88.01 and now i have the red box for my bravia android tv.
Thanks!

I am still experiencing the issue with some devices - still mostly my NVIDIA Shield TV.

Have you guys verified that the components didn’t change and your media players still exist. I just went through this yesterday. Alot of components switched how they work and how they are configured. You guys should go to the docs and verify that your configuration is correct. Chances are, the configuration changed. My upgrade from 0.87 to 0.88 had 4 configuration changes.

@macnug, @omerome

Same here with Sonos devices. No changes in config. All 3 Sonos devices give thuis error. LG tv no problem.

After some restarts of the container they showed up.

Tried with a delayed start as.i have for the Honekit bit that does not resolve thuis issue.

Befor 0.89.x no problems

Log says network error bit i know for 100% sure that the devices van reach each other. Ping from docker host with no problems.

Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 113] No route to host’

Fresh install, switched lovelace to YAML and I get the same error on all my roku devices.

+1 red box of death
my google home products all show fine but kodi gives a red box.
restarting Hassio sometimes helps, other times not - kodi state is missing from dev tools as if it was not detected.
I have kodi defined as a media player and it still doesnt detect.

EDIT:
I removed my config that defines kodi and let Hassio discovery find it.
seems to have come back - lets see if it stays that way

if you have discovery on and you aren’t changing the entity_id’s, the system could change the entity_id’s on you which would result in a red box. You should probably name your entities properly or avoid discovery. Personally, I avoid discovery. It’s nice but it can cause problems like this.

I just quote myself from different topic, maybe it will help someone

None of the platforms mentioned in this thread have that field, so this isn’t relevant to the topic at hand. That field is only in the plex media player, not all other media_players. People in this thread will not be able to follow that advice.