Node Red Experiences

Is this node red better?

Interesting, my CPU use went down when I switched my automations to Node-Red. I’m on Hass.io

Very nice, it’s cool to see how others structure their flows.

Here is a zoomed out view of everything I have going based on presence as far as lighting/vacuuming:

Nothing complicated going on here, using the additional stoptimer, timerange, and bigtimer nodes.

6 Likes

Anyone know how to pass data into a “input_number.set_value” service call?

Looking to make something like this work:

{ "entity_id" : "input_number.slider1", "value" : msg.payload }

Exactly like that, what’s not working?

Sorry, ignore me, getting confused which thread I’m reading and didn’t realise this was for node-red.

Use a template node and feed that into the service call node. Note that the output type should be json and that you don’t need msg.xyz for the template, just xyz works.

I believe what you would want would be

{ "data": { "entity_id" : "input_number.slider1", "value" : {{payload}} } }

EDIT: to further add, you can use the function node as well and write in javascript. The template node is probably the best option unless you need to do transformations on the data.

3 Likes

Just made a blog post on this exact topic :slight_smile:

edit: good tip with the template node! I hadn’t thought of that to set the { data { } }

2 Likes

I read your blog before jumping on node-red and I like what you have there. If you haven’t read this yet - https://nodered.org/docs/writing-functions - you should check it out. Basically, you can skip the var newMsg = Object(); call by using var newMsg = {payload: blahblahblah… } It’ll shorten your code by a bit, and if your functions get really complicated like mine, then eliminating a few lines is appriciated.

1 Like

Quick question for the Node Red gurus: how do you replicate both the “from” and “to” parts of a Home Assistant automation state trigger?

Here’s what I’m trying to figure out: a notification when my device_tracker changes from “not_home” to “home” and vice-versa. Currently my Node Red flow is:

• HA Events:State node for my device_tracker entity
  • Switch node for “home” and “not_home” strings
  • Two HA Call Service nodes (one attached to each output of the switch), to call the notify service to send a message to my iPhone; if “home”, send “Mark is arriving home!”, if “not_home”, send “Mark is leaving home!”

But the problem is that my device must be updating my location fairly regularly while I’m out, and so there are lots of “not_home” events that get fired on the event bus, which triggers my “Mark is leaving home!” notification.

If I was doing it in a HA automation, I would do:

trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: device_tracker.marks_iphone
    to: "home"

Which would ensure that I only got a notification when the state changed from one state to another, not when the same state was fired on the event bus.

Any suggestions for how I can replicate this? Thanks!

You could try a function node that checks the states and passes the message

var newState = msg.data.new_state.state;
var oldState = msg.data.old_state.state;
if(oldState == 'off' && newState == 'on'){
    return msg;
}
else { return null; }

Is there a guide for installing and using with ha by chance? I wanna start playing with this. Thanks

Take a look at the rbe node (one of the defaults). Will only send the message if the value has changed.

@Darbos There’s an addon for Hassio
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/repository-notoriousbdg-add-ons-node-red-ha-bridge-and-gogs/

Otherwise it’s in the Debian repositories etc. You need to install the additional integration for Home Assistant. Detailed info - http://diyfuturism.com/hass-and-nodered-smarthome

Thanks @flamingm0e! I modified it slightly and it’s working as follows:

if(oldState != newState){
    return msg;
}
else { return null; }

This function only passes message if the old_state differs from the new_state, so in my case only allows a notification to fire if the transition is from not_home to home or vice-versa.

I like to use the actual states, for use in my input_select options, so I can control how it responds based on what the previous state was, and what the new state is.

How did you do this please? I would love to do something like this to track my movements over the months.

Cheers
Mark

@flamingm0e very good point. I’ve changed it to this:

if (oldState == "not_home" && newState == "home") {
    return [ msg, null ];
}
else if (oldState == "home" && newState == "not_home") {
    return [ null, msg ];
}
else { return [ null, null ]; 
}

This has actually let me get rid of the switch node also - now, the function checks if the old state and new state differ and routes the message to one of two outputs depending on what the new state is. And the else makes sure that other payloads or mismatching logic stops the flow (though I’m not sure the else is necessary since no messages should pass if the logic in either if or else if don’t match).

Thanks for your help!

These are great examples on how to make flows smarter. One that I’m still struggling with, and its probably super easy, is how to compare 2 inputs from Home Assistant. For example, lets says I want to compare inside temperature vs outside temperature for some HVAC notification logic. How do I pull two different states into one flow and compare them? I think that the Home Assistant Get Template component might do it, but I’m not sure how to format everything properly.

Thanks.

You would use the ‘get current state’ node

I’m just using the sqldb nodes that work with any SQL database:

I do not know much about SQL to be honest, but I just made a database & table to hold the location information. For me this is MySQL since that’s what I use with HASS. Whenever a GPS change is detected, I have Node-Red insert that information into the database.

Then anything that uses SQL can access and select from the info. ie. I just wrote a very simple python script with gmplot to generate the map https://github.com/vgm64/gmplot

You could just do it in a Home Assistant template node, test your template on the dev tools page in HA and then just copy and paste it into the node.

If you want to do it in the Node-Red flow, you would trigger 2 ‘current state’ nodes and then have them both go into a join node, combine the messages, then evaluate the output of the join node. Here’s an example that compares two times to trigger my alarm clock:

JSON:

[{"id":"4b54aa6b.60c2c4","type":"comment","z":"45760804.d260f8","name":"Trigger Alarm Clock","info":"Other condition I was using for work day only:\n\ncondition:\n    - condition: template\n      value_template: \"{%- if is_state('input_boolean.alarmworkday', 'on') and is_state('sensor.cal_work_day', 'True') -%}True{%- elif is_state('input_boolean.alarmworkday','off') -%}True{%- else -%}False{%- endif %}\"\n","x":133.54586029052734,"y":60,"wires":[]},{"id":"69da9ca6.175774","type":"inject","z":"45760804.d260f8","name":"Once a Minute","topic":"","payload":"","payloadType":"date","repeat":"60","crontab":"","once":true,"x":122.62890625,"y":103.84805965423584,"wires":[["780b96a3.8cb9c8","a1d9f94b.c736b8"]]},{"id":"780b96a3.8cb9c8","type":"api-current-state","z":"45760804.d260f8","name":"Get Alarm Time","server":"8ac3cd7f.58d3e","halt_if":"unknown","entity_id":"input_datetime.alarm_time","x":121.52182006835938,"y":152.01167106628418,"wires":[["b00268be.c8d818"]]},{"id":"b00268be.c8d818","type":"moment","z":"45760804.d260f8","name":"Subtract 10min","topic":"","input":"payload","inputType":"msg","inTz":"America/Los_Angeles","adjAmount":"10","adjType":"minutes","adjDir":"subtract","format":"HH:mm","locale":"C","output":"payload","outputType":"msg","outTz":"America/Los_Angeles","x":347.0657272338867,"y":168.81338024139404,"wires":[["a79c59f.64675a8"]]},{"id":"a79c59f.64675a8","type":"join","z":"45760804.d260f8","name":"","mode":"custom","build":"array","property":"payload","propertyType":"msg","key":"topic","joiner":"\\n","joinerType":"str","accumulate":false,"timeout":"","count":"2","x":574.9669036865234,"y":120.19454622268677,"wires":[["290bba5e.eca976"]]},{"id":"a1d9f94b.c736b8","type":"moment","z":"45760804.d260f8","name":"Current Time","topic":"","input":"payload","inputType":"msg","inTz":"America/Los_Angeles","adjAmount":"0","adjType":"hours","adjDir":"add","format":"HH:mm","locale":"C","output":"payload","outputType":"msg","outTz":"America/Los_Angeles","x":354.6716537475586,"y":120.57068347930908,"wires":[["a79c59f.64675a8"]]},{"id":"290bba5e.eca976","type":"function","z":"45760804.d260f8","name":"Compare Times","func":"newmsg = Object();\nif (msg.payload[0] == msg.payload[1]) {\n    newmsg.payload = \"True\";\n} else {\n    newmsg.payload = \"False\";\n}\n\nreturn newmsg;","outputs":1,"noerr":0,"x":578.2886734008789,"y":168.714213848114,"wires":[["23eef6bc.db82fa"]]},{"id":"23eef6bc.db82fa","type":"switch","z":"45760804.d260f8","name":"Is it Time?","property":"payload","propertyType":"msg","rules":[{"t":"eq","v":"True","vt":"str"}],"checkall":"true","outputs":1,"x":746.6219635009766,"y":139.12392044067383,"wires":[["c4ef2b28.929ef8"]]},{"id":"8ac3cd7f.58d3e","type":"server","z":"","name":"Home Assistant","url":"http://localhost:8123","pass":"PASSWORD"}]