Node Red Experiences

Yeah I’d like to see the filter and switch if that’s cool. Still learning this thing :grinning:

Tried, but can’t import this. Normally the examples I import are one really long line, so I’m guessing its a formatting problem, but I’m pretty new to node red so I don’t really know what’s wrong.

I’ve seen these in peoples flows (of course I can’t find an example right now) but they’re the same icon as a switch but instead of yellow they’re orange and the user has the ability to put a time on the switch. Can anyone educate me as to what this switch is and where do you find it? Thanks.

Figured it out, its the time-range-switch which allows you to use the timerange :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @chimpy just a friendly reminder for that code snippet :slight_smile: . Thank you

Hello.

Anyone has an idea how to toggle an input_boolean through Node-Red?
Which domain I must use?
If automation then which entity_id becuase if I use the right entity name I get this from the logs

Invalid service data for automation.toggle: extra keys not allowed @ data[‘entity id’]. Got ‘input_boolean.bany’

There is no input_boolean option.

Thanks.

You can use the domain of homeassistant with the service call of toggle. Try it out in the developer options within HA. If it works copy the json into nodered. Profit

Thanks for your answer. Worked perffectly!!

1 Like

I haven’t read this thread thourugly so I apologise if this is already answered. I have few questions:

• What’s that best source for HA-node red integration ? Is there a hope that the official module (from ayapejian ) will get the support back or is it better to bet on @Spartan.II.117 module (I’m happy to contribute) ?
  • How does reliability of node red looks like ? I’ve read @michaelblight response and it doesn’t look that great. I’m considering moving from appdaemon (which is quite great, but does not have large community nor IBM behind it). In particular I really like the idea of node red context that can be persisted through restarts which adds quite a lot.

@rsokolowski I wouldn’t say that appdaemon doesn’t have a good community behind it. They’ve always responded to my questions fairly quick and the API Docs are good.

That being said I run both of them. I have some things that a little more complex and I use appdaemon for those. Everything that was simple that I was using appdaemon for I’ve now moved over to NodeRed. Sometimes I look at the code that I wrote for something in appdaemon and then look at how big my flow is in NodeRed and I’m like wow on the other hand I feel that by taking some of the load off of AD by moving over to NR is good for AD to focus its efforts on the more important things that I have it do.

Some items are a lot snappier in NR compared to AD such as open door light turns off

So I think that running both of them side by side is a perfectly good solution just decide what you need where and plug it in :slight_smile:

@rsokolowski thanks for the mention, looking at ayapejian’s github account, I see no activity since May 4th, and before that week another over a month of no activity, that’s why I forked his project. if he were to return to active development on his project, I would absolutely encourage everyone to use his repo, but until that happens I will be doing my (admittedly limited) best to keep it up to date and add any features suggested without breaking things.

As to reliability, I haven’t had any issues with it, and have been running it for nearly 6 months in Docker alongside home-assistant.

Hey @rsokolowski. I might have to edit my earlier comment as it gives the wrong impression. Node Red itself is reliable. However, I tried a few of the community schedulers and couldn’t get them all to work reliably 100% of the time, and I’m not sure why. I resolved upon using Light Scheduler set to “minutely” followed by an RBE. I’ve not had problems with this arrangement.

@ rsokolowski Node-Red works great and is totally reliable :+1: I have installed Node-Red on a dedicated RPi and performance and response times are amazing.

Thanks for the answers. I will give it a try with @Spartan.II.117 fork.
Re. Appdaemon: the UX and documentation is great. Getting started, debug cycles are really fast, yet I like the idea of writing software without much coding and Node Red seems to be supporting the model of community added plugins much better than Appdaemon (yet, as @michaelblight mentioned the quality of such plugins might not be yet that great).

How you install this fork in node-red?

Here you go man: https://www.hastebin.com/ewiyajikeb.json

1 Like

Follow the instructions here: https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/8xyrfe/node_red_just_wanted_to_share_a_great_fork_i_found/e3y0qqu

Otherwise if you follow my “brute force” method when I first posted the link, the fork will get periodically overwritten with the “official” version.

This way points the node red config to the clone you did of the fork’s repo. You can do a git pull every time you want to update.

2 Likes

Does anyone have /homeassistant/entities not found problem when try add server to node-red?
I have virtualenv installation of ha and big problem with node-red-contrib-home-assistant

Have you restarted node-red since configuring your home-assistant connection?

You have the correct version of node-red installed?

Have you deployed any other flows before trying to connect? An inject node tied to a debug node will do the trick.