Node-Red reliability

Hi,

Is anyone experiencing reliability issues with Node-Red automations ? I have a couple of motion sensors that are meant to turn on lamps around the house, however occasionally when motion is detected (LED on PIR sensor lights up), the lamp doesn’t turn on.

Problem may lie in a couple of areas:

• Motion sensor has a delay mechanism to ensure messages are not sent within a short space of each other - I guess it saves batter life.
  • ZWave not passing the info back to HA
  • HA not passing the event to Node-Red

Other than putting a notification on each trigger, does anyone have any debugging techniques that could help pinpoint the issues (if there is one) ?

Thanks

I’ve found Node-RED itself to be reliable, usually problems due to my own error.

The debug nodes can helps, but sometimes I also have the e-mail node send me a message when an automation is triggered.

Are you using Node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket to get info to/from HA?

My nodered is 100% reliable, but I don’t run it on a pi either.

Yep, been running for a few months now with no noticeable reliability problems on IntelNUC.

I’m running Node-Red on a dedicated RPi (not HA Addon) for several month now and had no issues with reliability at all. I have the same high responsiveness as on day one.

I had some sensor delays when running Node-Red as add-on on my HA system, but none since running the dedicated installation on RPI.

I’m using Telegram-node to send me debug and message information to my phone.

I have no issues with multiple Node-Red instances. I log everything to a file for debugging, although using something like node-red-contrib-advance-logger is probably easier. I suggest you also check the availability of the lights in HA. My Hue lights go unavailable up to 20 times a day for short periods. Any commands sent during this time get ignored.

Thanks all for the responses. I think indeed the problem may well lie with the Hue interaction and not on the sensor side. Putting in debug hooks on the sensor side, they seem to be all doing the right thing.

I had as well some occasional HUE lights issues and had to place my HUE hub at a more central place. Now all is fine with my lights :slight_smile: