Node Red VS yaml automations

This!! ^^

It worked perfectly. Thanks!!

I pretty much do this, I have a ‘House Log’ channel in Telegram and log things like security, climate, presence to it.

But I generally keep all my debugging notifications in the flow instead of deleting them. Instead I have an input_boolean in HA to turn debugging notififcations on/off. So wherever I had debugging notifications when I was making the flow, I just drop in a condition: only if this input_boolean is on.

So if I need to go back to it later, I can just turn on my master debug notification switch and then my ‘House Log’ becomes much more detailed. Fix it and turn it back off.

That’s the only logging I do, since I have all my automations in NR as well I don’t really find the Logbook useful so I just have it disabled.

Is there any advantage to having the log disabled? I’m still debugging every now and then. Mostly when I make a new flow that unknowingly overlaps with another one.

At some point though I can see not really needing to debug and not needing the log, once I stop tweaking the system.

I have found @Kermit script really useful though initially struggled to get it to work because I had not asked recorder to include the light domain.
This is a more generic version not specifying an entity and hence it gets logged regardless (it seems).

[{"id":"3501b61.7f6a84a","type":"inject","z":"6ffd42e2.73efbc","name":"","topic":"","payload":"","payloadType":"date","repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"x":120,"y":440,"wires":[["4a2c733.4bdd68c"]]},{"id":"4a2c733.4bdd68c","type":"api-call-service","z":"6ffd42e2.73efbc","name":"Log it","server":"ec85cd17.af94a","version":1,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"logbook","service":"log","entityId":"","data":"{\"name\":\"Node-Red\",\"message\":\"'test' event triggered\",\"domain\":\"logbook\"}","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"","output_location_type":"none","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":270,"y":500,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"ec85cd17.af94a","type":"server","z":"","name":"Home Assistant"}]

logbook

1 Like