NodeMCU-32s - OTA Successful but loads old config

Hi All,

Context - I have 2 x NodeMCU-32s boards, each one is connected to a 16 way relay board.

I’m having a bit of a mare with a couple of NodeMCU-32s at the moment:

For some unknown reason yesterday, both of my boards started going crazy and the relays on pin’s 17 started going nuts - to the point that ANY action on the board caused the relay to click - doing some research, looks like I had used Pins 16 and 17 without disabling the UART logging…MCU 1 - 0 ME.

I managed to re-write the firmware using the local USB connection - however ever since I have done that, every time I run esphome filename.yaml run - the upload takes about 1 second flat, says its successful, and then the board reboots into the existing config.

Has anyone seen this before? If it helps, these are the pins which I have relays connected to:

It was all working fine until yesterday when randomly they went nuts.

Thanks
Leacho

So you are using ESPHome via the command line rather than using the addon?

Try using the verbose option to see if that sheds any light on what is going wrong: https://esphome.io/guides/cli.html

Hi @tom_l,

I use ESPHome via the integration - but when I write new firmware I do that via command line.

I’ve checked the verbose output and I can see the changes I have made that should be written to the ESP - but still not writing to the board.

Thanks
Leacho

Are you putting the ESP32 into boot mode with the onboard buttons?

Not sure how I would do that tbh - I had to press the reset button yesterday to stop it going wild, could I have inadvertently done it then?

I’ve been doing some more investigation work with this, and interestingly, I’ve noticed that when I remove the 5V supply from the pin, and leave the GND connected, all of the relays turn on - when I remove the GND pin, all the relays turn off again - so not sure if there is a cabling fault - just going through now, wondering if one of the other pins is playing up.

Thanks
Leacho

Hi All, just a quick update on this, I managed to track this down to an issue with a relay being connected to GPIO12, which was being pulled low on boot, and causing the ESP to behave as it did - I’ve moved the offending relay from GPIO12 to 16 and all is working fine now.

Thanks

2 Likes