Noob issue

A total noob, here. I’ve got several straightforward automations already running. This one is greatly frustrating due to my lack of knowledge. I am trying to automate a very slow dimmer brightness increase in a script or automation. The idea is to increase the brightness 1% every second until the light is fully on. Every example I can find of someone doing something similar doesn’t work for SOME reason. I have the script below, but it fails to save, telling me “Message malformed: expected a dictionary for dictionary value @ data[‘sequence’][0][‘repeat’]”. Not terribly helpful for me. I have tried numerous combinations of statement order, indentation, inclusion/exclusion of the “-” character. All examples in the documentation seem to have a different combination of the “-” character’s use. I do NOT understand when it is used/necessary/unnecessary. They also have the placement of repeat/until/sequence in seemingly random positions within the script. This is my current script. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

-repeat:
    until: "{{ is_state(light.in_wall_paddle_dimmer_500s','on') }}"
    sequence:
      - alias: Slow ramp bathroom light
      - service: light.turn_on
        target:
          entity_id: light.in_wall_paddle_dimmer_500s 
        data_template:
          brightness: >-
           {{ state_attr('light.in_wall_paddle_dimmer_500s', 'brightness') + 1 }}
      - delay: "00:00:01"/>

Welcome!

Please format your code using the preformatted config option in the forum’s editor toolbar. Preserving formatting of YAML is vital.

Also check this out: Ashley’s Light Fader 2.0✨: fade lights and/or color temperature with your choice of easing (curves), including ease-in, ease-out, and ease-in-out.

1 Like

Code snippet fixed. Thanks!

Missing a single quote and an integer error…

until: "{{ is_state('light.in_wall_paddle_dimmer_500s','on') }}"

brightness: >- {{ state_attr('light.in_wall_paddle_dimmer_500s', 'brightness')| int(0)+ 1 }}

1 Like