NOOB, SSL raspberry pi VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT, no port forward, no addons

Hello,

I am a noob. I have been searching a lot before. I just installed using manual instalation in my raspberry pi and everything was ok.

I want to add ssl for local network, i don´t need remote access and I don´t want port forward.
Since i don´t have addons, how can i add ssl withou the ducknsaddon? (i already added xiaomi sensors in yaml configuration which are working well).

I it safe to connect to spotify without the ssl?

Thank you so much

Why?

I advise you to switch to Home Assistant OS or Supervised,a virtual environment install is not meant for noobs.

1 Like

I agree with burningstone
The vast majority of users start off with HassOS
It is built to be a stable - safe - beginners platform (but the ability for add-ons can take you very much towards some of the most advanced installations)
Due to its high uptake, support is second to none
Best of all, by using samba, you can take snapshots (complete and transferable backups) which can be stored wherever you want to put them.

In 6 or 12 months you will know a lot more about HA, the environment, devices and configuration.
You can then decide how you’d like to proceed.
But with your current installation you are locked in to a specific path, that will be very difficult to move out of.

Edit: I also agree with the comment about “Why do you want SSL” - in a ‘local’ setup (no remote access)

Thank you Burningstone,

I used local as I installed it on a raspberry pi 2., which at a moment works really well. I also needed to run a DAC uca222, as i want to also cast music from my vinyl.

The SSL was only for another layer of security, as i saw spotify could use ssl link or http. I was concerned that perhaps my installation could not be secure.

Which installation guide or image would you reccomend for my raspberry pi2?

Thank you both Mutt and Burningstone!

Just need to find that instalation for my hardware.

The bigest challenge is to find a way to cast the input audio using the home assistant to my google speaker group. I thought it would be easier using the native abilities of buster os.

Again I shall follow your advice if you believe it is secure to run a local pi without ssl

Someone like @DavidFW1960 (who I’ve found to be very knowledgeable about transports) may explain it better, but I don’t think SSL will help you here. Anything applied to HA will not apply to your app serving Spotify :man_shrugging:

Hardware recommendations start at a Pi3 so your current hardware platform is not going to give you Any headroom (RaspberryOS, docker, HA Core and your music app/hardware)
Add to that it’s not a supported installation, and a far from mainstream one at that, support will be very thin on the ground

There are no guarantees but HA has been ‘extensively’ tested.
However we can not speak for any music software you install (which is absolutely what will be the major external communication risk)

Edit: if you care about your home automation and/or care about you audio then you may not wish to run both on the same (very weak at that) platform. Some people dedicate an i7 processor to run HA and ancillary equipment (cameras, music, NAS, even multiple instances of HA (production, test, beta, forum assist etc.) I run my music on multiple Pi 3’s and my HA is on an i3 NUC for example.

1 Like

Thank you, perhaps i don´t need the home assistant, as i don´t have much automation going on i don´t want to buy another pi since i already have 3 at home xD.

For me would be great to give use to my pi 2 and an old tablet as a frontend.

what configuration / system / architecture do you have?

As far as I know you won’t be able to do this with Home Assistant at the moment. Therefore I suggest Home Assistant Container or Home Assistant Supervised (see the different install methods here) and run your audio in to google speaker separately from HA on the same machine.

However as Mutt said, the Pi 2 is not recommended and you’ll probably hit limitations quickly. I’d either get a separate Pi 3 for HA and keep your audio in to google speaker on this Pi or get a separate Pi 4 and do everything there.

Only 3? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I have more than 10 :rofl: but I’m currently consolidating them into my NUC where possible.

A basic Pi4 costs the same as a Pi3 (or it did last time I looked :rofl: )

Edit:
@surfknox

I run multiple instances (testing and production)
My production instance is HassOS on a NUC7i3 with 250GB SSD and USB Z-wave stick (fairly standard)
My test instances run on both a Pi3 and a Pi4 HassOS with 200GB SSD and USB Z-wave stick (even more common)