Notify or do something when an appliance like a dishwasher or washing machine finishes

In principle yes by modifying the blueprint and taking timestamps as first and last actions. However you wouldn’t really get useful values from that alone for the consumption since the power draw on most of these devices heavily fluctuates over time, e.g. when water is heated or not. There are esp. on ZigBee smartplugs available that actually do have a consumption sensor that gives you a kWh value. If you have one of these you can more or less figure it out by taking that value at the start and end a calculate the difference.

Works like a charm! Thank you very much @Sbyx

1 Like

I was trying to use this blueprint but it detects the wrong entity of my Shelly Plug S:

sensor.shelly_shplg_s_XXXXXX_current_consumption

→ this one provides current consumption, but it´s not selectable from the blueprint power sensor selection

sensor.shelly_shplg_s_XXXXXX_total_consumption

→ instead this one is been offered but it provides wrong data

Can the blueprint be adjusted to have a broader choice of the power sensor entity?

Yeah there is seemingly no real consistency in device class values between integrations. I will try to think about something. In any case you can manually input your correct entity id ignoring what is selectable.

Ah it´s too easy, thought only GUI selectable entitiies will work. Will give that a try, thanks.

One (general) question:

I use this blueprint for turning off my whole office desk with screens, sounds etc. after pc is shut down.
Let’s say automation gets triggered. But now HA restarts because I‘m playing around with it during the day. Will the automation be triggered again?

The progress of the initial check is not finished yet right. I think it will work.

Usually yes when HA starts or automations are reloaded triggers are reevaluated. That’s why you cannot simply make sth. like a: below-5 Watts for 5 Minutes trigger since it essentially fires again everytime the reload happens without the devices to monitor having been running again.

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for the blueprint but I get an error whiten i try to use it:

Preformatted textLogger: homeassistant.components.automation
Source: components/automation/init.py:517
Integration: Automation (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 28 December 2020, 22:11:30 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 28 December 2020, 22:11:30

Blueprint Appliance has finished generated invalid automation with inputs OrderedDict([(‘finishing_hysteresis’, ‘2’), (‘power_sensor’, ‘sensor.smart_plug_mss310_power_sensor_w_0’), (‘finishing_threshold’, ‘3’), (‘actions’, [OrderedDict([(‘service’, ‘notify.mobile_app_pixel_4_xl’), (‘data’, ‘Test test test’)])])]): expected dict for dictionary value @ data[‘action’][1][‘default’][0][‘data’]. Got NonePreformatted text

The power sensor is a Meross plug that pulls in the correct data in Lovelace so I think that’s working, and the error is beyond my skill to resolve. Does it mean anything to you guys?

Thanks in advance

Paul.

Your data block in your notify action should not be
Test test test
but

That’s perfect- works as intended now, and we’ve got a smart dryer! Much appreciated :slight_smile:

I’ve been looking for something like this for making my washing machine smart. Thanks!

1 Like

Argh… its not working for me…

My dryer is ~45-60 secs running the tumbler and thus not (never) reaching the 5 mins default. Also setting to 1 minute is not working for me…

Any tip or suggestion?

I increased the resolution to 0.25 minutes now so you should be able to select e.g. half a minute now. Hope that works for you.

What should I do to refresh the blueprint?

Under Blueprints delete the blueprint and immediately add it again from the same URL.

Then reload automations (or HA completely).

Done, will let you know if it now works…

Hi,
excellent blueprint this is exactly what I needed and got me to reinstall home assistant after I was operating a 0.4x install a long time ago.
The blueprint works very well, many thanks!

HA really has come a long way in becoming more user friendly. The blueprints exchange is a killer feature.

2 Likes

Sorry, forgot to mention… the lower timeselections did do the trick. it works!

1 Like

Great Blueprint. I do something similar. One minor suggestion for improvement - add another action selection for things to do when the appliance is running - i.e. when it first goes above the minimum threshold, run some actions, then wait for it to drop below for running the final actions.
This would allow you to do other things when the appliance is running - perhaps setting a binary sensor for device states, or even turning on a extractor fan, light, etc.

8 Likes

nice blueprint. this one works perfectly for my washing machine. only for my dryer no. why? because when it’s done, the dryer heats up one more cycle every 30 seconds. to 180w. can only set max 50